DINNER THREAD - 10/3/17 - 10/10/17
Star    
Since Jean has been otherwise occupied, let's keep things going for her with a new Dinner thread. 

A couple of months ago, my mom decided to search the Internet for something different she could make for dinner. One thing she found was a Turkey Taco Salad on Martha Stewart's website.

It was delicious and we loved it so much that we have already made it four times, with slightly variations. 

The changes we have made were primarily for cost or convenience, rather than taste. In particular, we have sometimes used either white or dark-meat ground turkey, ground pork or dark-meat ground chicken. When using the poultry, we have definitely preferred the dark meat and, last night, it was the dark-meat ground chicken that we used.

The other change has been the lettuce. Twice, we have used iceberg, once Romaine and, last night, we finally made it with Boston lettuce, as the recipe had originally specified. Of course, the Boston was the best, but this recipe is delicious regardless of the specific lettuce used. 

The only other thing that we have changed is that the recipe says to toss the lettuce with the olive oil, green salsa AND the crumbled tortilla chips, but the chips get too soggy that way, so we just crumble them on top when serving. 

Since the recipe just says "prepared green salsa," without specifying a brand, we use Frontera's Tomatillo salsa.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 10/3/17 - 10/10/17 by labradors (Since Jean has been ...)
Thanks for starting the new thread, Labs. We love taco salad and make it often. Like you, we put the chips on top.

Last night of vacation, so we might go to Umberto's, a nice little Italian restaurant nearby that we usually try to frequent when we're here.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
We had an awesome rib eye last night and split a baked potato.  I also posted in the dinner thread for last week a special dinner we had last week.

Tonight, is uncertain at this time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
It has been an interesting week foodwise.  A 48 hour sous vide rump roast with Scotch gravy, sous vide purple carrots in a honey glaze and some fingerling potatoes & turnips.  The rump roast was to die for!  Grass fed beef from our favorite rancher just melts in your mouth.  We had done a flank steak sous vide one night, leftovers became a very strange version of Stroganoff with noodled yellow zucchini.  We also had sous vide pork chops with Maple Harrisa glazed purple carrots.  Last night was leftovers.

Tonight will be sous vide salmon fillet with hollandaise, I'm hoping either wasabi mashed potatoes or a Cuisine @ Home sushi rice and broccoli.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I was struggling trying to come up with an idea for dinner tonight, when all of a sudden Lab's post popped in my head!  I've never tried putting the chips on top, so I'm going to try it that way tonight!
Daphne
We had gotten some chinese to go last night-  orange chicken and low mein noodles, and there was enough for leftovers for tonight.  Worked for me, not overly hungry worrying about this darn fire.
I am sauteeing some locally caught rock cod tonight, along with some steamed carrots and zucchini.  Bought a fresh baguette to make some garlic bread with too.
We had lasagna.  But shrimp are running, so I hope to have shrimp this weekend.
Daphne
10/11/2017

We had city chicken tonight with mashed potatoes and green beans. Wow, real comfort food.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."