DINNER THREAD - 8/28/17 - 9/3/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 8/28/17 - 9/3/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Me too Sharon, very relieved that Bill & his family are OK.

I'm grilling up T-bones with Béarnaise and corn on the cob.
Thanks, Jean!  I've been really worried!  

We ordered pizza.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Also so glad that Bill, Jane and family are all okay! Smile

We have been car/truck shopping this week so meals have been kind of last minute and thrown together. Tonight was just l/os, chef salad because I made too much last night, a cup of soup and a tomato sandwich.

Tonight I made a veggie pizza, the kind with crescent roll dough, cream cheese, sour cream and seasonings, and chopped vegetables on top. I put it in the fridge for tomorrow night to take to Holly's. Everyone has been so busy lately we haven't had much time together, so we decided on happy hour tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Katie's first day of high school!!!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
High School???? Not possible First Michael to college and now Katie!!! Soon, all the chicks will be gone! Smile
Ron hasn't found "the" truck yet, huh?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wednesday's Dinner - 8/30/17??

What's for dinner today?? 

Roy has been on a sauerkraut kick lately, so I'm making up a Noodle, Sauerkraut, Sausage casserole for him - and lots of Emanthaler gooeyness to take it over the top. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
No truck yet. He just can't make up his mind about what he wants to do. Having a hard time giving up the beast. I think he actually might pay for the transmission repair.

We're going to Holly's tonight. I made veggie pizza to take and the girls are both making something.
Maryann

Dinner is Southwestern Tenderloin Steaks with Chipotle Mashed Potatoes. A favorite from issue #61.
Thursday's Dinner - 8/31/17??

What's for dinner??
www.achefsjourney.com
We will be having babyback ribs, a roasted sweet potato and coleslaw. I hope. Sure is gloomy today. I will put the ribs in the IP and normally Ron would finish on the grill, but we might have to finish in the broiler instead.

Also, looking for recipes for BBQ sauce. We have used Sweet Baby Rays ever since it first came out, but now finding it too sweet. Normally, I cut it with some teriyaki sauce and a good spoonful of hot chili garlic paste. But, we're getting tired of that now. So, will need to experiment with something new. Several years ago, I used to make something called Asian Hot Grill Sauce. Might start with that today and see where it goes.
Maryann

You asked for it - here are my top three homemade sauces -
BARBECUE SAUCE - Heart Healthy*****

Recipe By     :Choices for a Healthy Heart, Joseph C. Piscatella
  2                can  tomato sauce -- (15 oz.)
     1/3             c  cider vinegar
     2/3             c  white wine vinegar
     1/4             c  liquid smoke flavoring
  1 1/2           tsps  tabasco sauce
  1 1/2           tsps  Dijon mustard
  3              clove  garlic -- peeled
     1/3             c  brown sugar

IN a med. stock pot, combine ingred. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat & simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours.  Yield:"5 c"
Serving Ideas : Excellent on chicken, salmon, scallops (seems like it would overpower scallops!?), & oysters - especially oysters on the  half shell.
-------------------
Chicken Drumsticks with Asian Barbecue Sauce*****
Instead of making a traditional American barbecue sauce, Grace Parisi prepares a sweet, sticky, slightly fiery version using Asian ingredients, like chile sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and ginger.

2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
16 chicken drumsticks (3 pounds)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup sweet Asian chile sauce or hot pepper jelly
1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
2 Tbs minced fresh ginger
2 large garlic cloves
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 cup toasted sesame seeds

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix the vegetable oil with the five-spice powder. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and toss. Arrange the chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for about 35 minutes, turning twice, until cooked.

2. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the hoisin sauce, chile sauce, rice vinegar, stock, ginger, garlic and sesame oil and puree until very smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and simmer until slightly thickened, 5 minutes.

3. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and toss with the sauce, until completely coated.

4. Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. Return the chicken to the baking sheet and broil for about 10 minutes, brushing with the sauce and turning occasionally, until glazed and sticky.

5. Add the sesame seeds to a bowl. Dip the chicken in the seeds to coat; serve.
Source: F&W newsletter - 11/2/14
Suggested Pairing   The chicken drumsticks go well with a ripe, spicy Malbec from Argentina
-------
SAUCE - BBQ - Mustard Barbecue Sauce*****

If you haven't tried a mustard based barbecue sauce then you are really missing out on something. This sauce works well with almost anything, but particularly pork. This is a variation of a favorite sauce from the western part of the Carolinas and Northern Georgia. It is a great way to add savory flavor to meat, but this sauce was invented for smoked pork.Yield: Makes about 2 cups - About.com cooking newsletter 12/5/13 - WONDERFUL FLAVOR

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar  (1/3 cup = 50 grams)
2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp cayenne

1. Mix all ingredients together and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes. If your making this sauce for a whole hog multiple the ingredients by about 8.

www.achefsjourney.com