For Young Chefs and More
Big Grin    
I was going to send this recipe to Maryann for her 'young' chefs, but the more I thought about them, the more I want to make them, also...so maybe other will also Big Grin

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

do these looks yummy or what!!

[Image: 2fbc6bce-a553-4b69-aeb8-84c946992c21_zps234pd2ay.jpg]

One reviewer suggested cutting the cookies in squares for much less waste - good idea.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: For Young Chefs and More by cjs (I was going to send ...)
OMG! That is a must do! Thanks, Jean. Smile

I was looking for a recipe to make something sweet for my in-laws this weekend and this is perfect.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Anxious to hear how these turn out - but, how could they not be tasty?? Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Boy have I had a sweet tooth lately and those look so good.  Just the right portion size.
Might have to make these next weekend, Jean. Forgot I had other things going on this weekend, so might not get to it.

I made something similar one time for my in-laws who love raisin cookies and raisin pie. I made a simple raisin pie filling, then cut out circles from the pie dough to make little hand pies. Will have to do those again, too.
Maryann

What a cute idea!  I can't wait to see how they turn out!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Made these Sunday morning to take to my in-laws and was so proud of how pretty they turned out! Even spent a few minutes fussing with them so they would look nice. Well, wouldn't you know I completely forgot to take a picture of them! Sad

Anyway, they were a big hit and the folks just loved them, so will be making them again. Thought I would add a few of my tips to the thread.

I put a dusting of flour down on a wooden cutting board, then rolled the dough out (just a bit) to try and 'square it off' a bit because I decided that might yield an extra cookie or two and it did. Next, I put the pie filling in the food processor to break it up in small chunks, then spread it on the pie crust. I forgot to buy the caramel sauce, but it was fine without it.

Next, I rolled out the second crust the same way as the first. I took my pizza cutter and cut slightly less then 1/2" strips, then laid them across the filling. Since I was short on time, I did not weave them, just put them on about an inch apart in each direction. It worked out fine.

Then, I took my ravioli cutter (which is square) and actually got 14 nice squares out of it, and bits of scraps which tasted just fine. I used the egg wash and cinnamon sugar as per the recipe.

FYI, saw a cute idea on FB posted by 12 Tomatoes. They did almost the same thing as I just described. Instead of cutting strips to cross, they just put the second pie crust on top of the filling, then cut the whole thing into thirds, then into 1/2" strips, using a wide spatula to transfer the pieces to a baking sheet.

After the strips were baked, they put them on a plate and drizzled with caramel sauce and called them 'apple french fries'. My grandkids really liked that idea. Wink
Maryann

Thanks Maryann!! These sound so good to me - have got to try them!
www.achefsjourney.com
Great ideas and tips, Maryann!  I'm glad they were a hit!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.