4th of July - 2017
  Re: 4th of July - 2017 by cjs ([size=small]The 4th ...)
Pictures, Mr. Bill!!! Tell everyone hello from the N.W.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
How wonderful for you and Jane and the family!!!

I agree, Jean!!!  Pictures Bill!  One of us will gladly help you get them posted!  

Ashley just informed me they are not coming down on the Fourth, but will probably come down Sunday to enjoy the festivies then.  I will probably join them for the park and vendors so The Fourth can be enjoyed more relaxed.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.  Do you guys know who the Embers are?  I can't tell you how many Friday and Saturday nights I spent shagging to their music and others at the original Spanish Galleon in Myrtle Beach!  They are a tradition at the fourth celebration.  The links to the left give details about everything.

http://www.nc4thofjuly.com/events-calendar/
Daphne
Daphne, I don't know how you are going to get ANY work done with all the festivities going on around you! What fun! No, I have not heard of the Embers, but I'm sure you will have a great time.

I'm not familiar with "the shag" but remember seeing signs on a lot of bars in Myrtle Beach when we used to vacation there. A former work friend and his wife loved to dance there and even had special dancing shoes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Maryann, we were NEVER this good, but I know people who are and were.  These two were the top of the shag competition class.  And there are still groups that compete.  It's a local cultural experience. The footwork is the key. Pro's just finess it a lot more.  But to give you an idea.....

https://youtu.be/i2MMLaSOXzE

And it pleases me to introduce you to Beach Music!  Meet the Embers!  Listen to the end.  I'll be curious if you recognize any of these?

https://youtu.be/Q5yAN6ZKyTk

And two of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/Nry51NWQknM

https://youtu.be/WgkO7XGUJyA

Now that you have seen shagging and heard the music, you should get how it was and is a MAJOR Carolina phenomenon! And a Classical Southern Icon!
Daphne
Coming back on later to thoroughly enjoy learning about the Shag!! Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Well, of course I remember most of the songs in the first video! Wink The second and third are not familiar, but then they are probably more localized to NC.

I never learned how to shag, but it sure looks like fun.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Huh! Never have seen the Shag done nor heard about it.

BUT, the music....Jesus, want a chronicle of my life???
Under the Boardwalk.........mid-60s...Santa Cruz Boardwalks....oooohhh, the trouble we got in as young marrieds.
How Sweet It Is.... I remember saying, "If I hear anyone else say this, I'll SCREAM!" Drove me insane
He Don't Love you.........brought a tear - bad time in our marriage, late 90s

Memories!!! Sweet and Sad. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Aren't they great!  They are originally from Raliegh, but I think they were at East Carolina when they started getting popular.  I grew up on their music!  They come here almost every year for the Fourth.

Jean, I think it may have been a spin off of the jitter bug?  

Before we were 18, we'd just sneak in off the beach. (This was when the drinking age was 18.)  LOL!  I would have had a cow if Ashley had done half of what we did back then!
Daphne
Totally forgot!  Here are pictures from today!

Food vendor area at the waterfront
[Image: IMG_0925.jpg]

Entertainment area with a large container ***** going out in the background

[Image: IMG_0924.jpg]

Jean check out this setup!  Wood Fired Pizza Oven on wheels!  The refrigerated table she is working at slides into the open compartment to the right of the oven!  Super cool!  That's lunch tomorrow or Tuesday!

[Image: IMG_0921.jpg]

Arts and Crafts in the park.  I'd guess around 75 to 100 booths?  Got Tilley a nautical themed Fourth of July bandana! And I got William a jar of hand crafted Sweet Hot Mustard.  There was a great booth with samples of interesting hand crafted oil blends, jams, and spice blends for rubs or dips.  I may go back for a couple of those!  I think both vendors sell online.  I'll look and post later.

[Image: IMG_0919.jpg]
Daphne