Dinner Thread, 6/19 - 6/25/17
  Re: Dinner Thread, 6/19 - 6/25/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
We used to love going to OR and staying a weekend with Houseboat Don...but now, he is a teetotaler (sp?) and Roy isn't comfortable with that and poor Don knows it............... Friend?? or wine?  I know which way I'd go, but..................piddle.

We had such a mish mash of dishes. I tried out a couple new dressing/marinade. the Marinade was for the asparagus:
1 lb. Asparagus
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T. sugar
2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. sesame oil

Cook the asparagus for ~3 min., cool and add the marinade. Says to let it go overnight, but I only ad 4 hours. and it was very nice.  I think 1/2 the recipe would have worked for a lb. of asparagus.

Feta dressing ( I made just 1/2X) - glad I didn't make the whole recipe, it was so thick, I portioned out some for today and added enough milk to make a nice salad dressing consistency. Worked great and this is a real tasty dressing. Says it keeps for 2 weeks. (I have beets thawed out that I needed to use and I love this combination.
7 oz. feta
1/2 cup olive  oil
1 1/2 T. red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, mash (I used a whole clove for 1/2 the recipe)
2 tsps. dried oregano
The magazine I copied this from (Dr's office mag, so didn't want to tear out Smile ) suggested a layered salad of tomato, avocado, red onion slices. Drizzle with dressing.

[Image: Jun%2025%20Feta%20dressing%20salad%201_zpsvh4fujge.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, it's great you could share your bread, but I think you were the winner with the goat cheese!  You know I love it!!!!

Sharon, I feel guilty at having such a great day!  I hope you get to go to OR soon.  Will be interested to learn why you go?

Hope the parent sitting is going well, Maryann!  I'm sure it's a lot, but know your SIL really earned this vacation!  I'm sure you do, and it's great you can jump in!

After a great day, we did naked burgers on Cherokee Purple tomato slices (Yes, living in Southport allows me more choices and I LOVE it!).  We had deli twice baked potato salad on the side.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Jean, that salad looks so delicious. You mentioned thawing beets. Did you buy them frozen or freeze them yourself? I love beets. Do you ever use the gold ones?

Dinner went amazingly well today. My in-laws were having a peaceful and 'sort of' a happy day.

Sharon, do you notice a difference when using the Italian flour for pizza? I bought it once, but now I don't remember if I thought it was that much better.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Daphne, I think I was the winner, also. Smile

I like to roast a large batch of beets and freeze them. I do grab the yellow ones when I see them, Maryann. It's got to be nice to spend time with the in-laws when they are their 'old selves' - got to be hard, tho.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Darn it, Daphne! I can't get those Cherokees out of my mind since you mentioned them. This is the first year I haven't planted them forever!!! Sad I'm really going to miss my larger veggie garden, I think
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, I was impressed William dug through a basket of heirlooms to find it....but he loves them.  We haven't had any luck growing them.  But one of William's best friend had a green thumb with EVERYTHING!  He was the one who would bring us bushels of tomatoes every summer.  And about half of each bushel were usually Cherokee Purples. Tragically, we lost Navy Man unexpectedly last week.  We are both heartbroken, but especially Wiilliam.  I hope Peg has lots of help to harvest John's garden in the coming months.  She's a tough cookie, but John always has a big garden.  John would harvest, and Peg would can and freeze it all.  I wish we were closer and had more time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread, 6/19 - 6/25/17 by Mare749 (What do you do in Or...)
We go to Oregon for booze! There are no sales taxes on booze in Oregon - here the taxes almost double the cost! The water pump on the van is leaky - it goes to the shop Thursday so we'll go Saturday or Sunday.
Oh, that's sad. I do run across them once in a while at a certain market and grab a couple. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com