Dinner Thread, 6/12/17 - 6/18/17
  Re: Dinner Thread, 6/12/17 - 6/18/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
I'm feeling let down by the new issue as well. Need to go through it again, maybe when I'm hungry. It always seems to make a difference.

Father's Day dinner tonight. Rib-eyes, twice baked potatoes, honeydew melon, and apple pie, oh my! Wink

I'm also a fan of using pickle brine. Those cherry peppers sound delicious. Wish I knew how to can. It has always scared me. I get it from my mom, I think. She never canned anything, it was always frozen.

I do still use your recipe for cucumber salad, Sharon. But, we eat all of it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread, 6/12/17 - 6/18/17 by Mare749 (I'm feeling let down...)
Thank you Maryann. We still love that salad. Pickles are so easy to make. We got a steam canner year before last and I LOVE it, much easier than boiling a huge pot of water to water bath stuff. My Grandmother and Mom both canned tons of stuff and my Mom filled the freezer with jams and produce every summer. I cannot break the habit. We had to go buy an upright freezer this Spring. Sheeesh.

Tonight's dinner is going to be sous vide pork tenderloin, mashed sous vide sweet potatoes cooked in carrot juice, and sauted asparagus & garlic scapes. I have two different versions I'm debating on using for the tenderloin. The sweet potatoes are an idea I'm stealing from Sous Vide magazine.

I'm kinda proud of myself . . . I have meals all planned out into next week. Smile
Good to have a week's worth of dinners planned.

I've cut back completely on canning - I freeze a number of things, but that's about it anymore. I used to can everything under the sun.

We had the 2nd of Twice Baked potato and artichokes. I like doing them in the IP.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
My grandmother canned everything, and so did William's grandmother.  And his grandmother helped me can some stuff one year early in our marriage, but it didn't take.  Then several years ago, I canned tomatoes and marinara.  It just didn't take.  Maybe if I was truly retired?

Tonight is hotdogs, baked beans and PaPa's Potatoes and Onions....some of Williams favorites!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Oh sure, outdo Roy Richard, Daphne........what are PaPas potatoes - fried tatersi & onions? (For us, it would be garlic, too Wink. )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread, 6/12/17 - 6/18/17 by Gourmet_Mom (My grandmother canne...)
I used to be known as the person who would can/pickle anything. Living in the motor home has precluded a lot of that, but d@mn I just can't stop.
Jean, they originated as thinly sliced onions and potatoes in individual foil pouches with butter, salt and pepper.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.