Dinner Thread, 6/12/17 - 6/18/17
  Re: Dinner Thread, 6/12/17 - 6/18/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
I hope you survived, Trixxee!

That sounds like a really cool camp, Maryann!  I used novel sets for English class instead of text books. And Hatchet was one I used every year!  It was always one of the kid's favorites.  To this day, I have students who now have kids of their own who tell me how much they loved that book!  Another one of his that I would recommend to students is the sequel, River.  And to those whose parents I knew wouldn't make a big deal about it, I'd show Harris and Me....absolutely hilarious!  But it does have some language (necessary to make the character believable) and a few references to what the old farm hand calls his "durdy pectures".  But I'm talking tears rolling down my face laughing out loud funny!

Anyway, we didn't get to eat until after 4 today, so we called it dinner.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Congratulations Trixee - it's momentous when our children graduate.  I missed my oldest's but we got to see our Granddaughter's graduation, yes I blubbered.

Maryann that sounds like so much fun and finding a beef roast in the freezer . . . bonus!

Oh, Jean!  It must be so hard.  You and Roy made that trailer into such a wonderful expression of yourselves!  Hopefully you'll find the perfect little trailer and be able to get over this way . . . fall is perfect here!  Fall - not late summer!  LOL!  Of course I doubt we'll ever see summer this year!

Tonight was Butter Chicken, adapted a bit and not certain I liked cooking it in a wok.  Wrong pan, but it's such a comfort food for us.  

Today Bob went in and got injections in his hip and bursa.  We're hoping that they do the "job".  On the way home we stopped for "breakfast" at a local Denny's.  I had the mistaken opinion that when I ordered breakfast with a "gluten free" muffin I would be safe . . . not!  We aren't sure what it was, we both have suffered all day.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Maryann, what are some of the skills Alyssa will be learning at this camp - survival in the wild or basic survival? How interesting and I'll bet the cousins/siblings will benefit from the things she learns, too.

Sharon, it is really nostalgic going thru all the goodies in the trailer - of all the trailers we've had over the years this one is such a special one and we sure had fun with it. We will for sure be headed your way and of course to Yakima to see high school friends.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/16/17??

What's for dinner today??

Another fast one for us - so we'll have Meximuffins and watermelon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Mmm...butter chicken and Meximuffins, oh my...I'm getting hungry.

Trixxee, hope everything went well with Michael's graduation.

Jean, Alyssa's "survival camp" was basic skills to take care of yourself if you ever get lost in the woods, like on a hike.  They learned how to make a fire from flint and steel, as well as making their own charcoal cloth in case you can't find an abandoned bird's nest.  She built a shelter from sticks and leaves, learned how to use a compass and a basic park map, as well as making a "survival" bracelet out of nylon cord and how to take it apart if needed.  For homework, we put together a basic survival kit from things I had in the house.  The next level starts in three weeks.

Daphne, thanks for the book recommendations!

Dinner tonight...plans have changed. We're doing my dad's Father's Day dinner tomorrow night now. Tonight we are going to Chinatown with friends to one of our favorite places that we like to go to every few weeks. (The place where I had my birthday dinner) Our friend's daughter is getting married in October and they are having her reception there. Full blown 21 courses, just like they had many years ago.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Scottie, my oldest son grew up reading Louie L'Amour (sp?) and when he was about 13 he got lost while we were camping and he didn't panic at all - he just used what he had learned from the books! And, we found him in record time! (I hardly had time to start my hysterics...... Wink )
www.achefsjourney.com
Went to get steaks, and tenderloins were on sale!  Happy me!!!!  Steak night tonight and steak night for three more dinners and two with stir fry and/or kebabs.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Everything sounds good as usual.  It was a work day and then we had to run into town, needed gas and vermouth.  Now with groceries put away a gluten free pizza that I augmented with salami, pepperoni, mushrooms, sweet cherry peppers and green ripe olives (story to follow) and Provolone!  I can't wait.

Last summer one of the vendors at the Farmers' Market had cherry peppers.  I bought all he had left and came home & pickled them.  The other day I had to open a jar and a can of green ripe olives for a salad for a pot luck.  I didn't use all of either . . . was in a hurry to clean up . . . so dumped the drained olives into the jar of pickled cherry peppers.  OMG!  OMG!  This took a rather bland item and turned it into a big flavor win!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Good pickling idea, Sharon - Every time I empty a jar a pickles, I ponder what to put back in the brine. Always a surprise and mostly very good!! Love eggs, and onions, and .............. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Saturday's Dinner, 6/17/17??

What's on the menu for everyone today?? 

Twice-Baked potatoes here and whatever veggie he picks up while he's out today.

(Haven't gotten too excited about the new issue yet...seems like most are again like last issue just tweaking old standards. Maybe this means after 65 years of cooking, not too many new ideas.............. Rolleyes  )
www.achefsjourney.com