DINNER THREAD - 5/29/17 - 6/4/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 5/29/17 - 6/4/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Thursday's Dinner, 6/1/17??

What's for dinner today, the first day of June (and where is our darn sun??????????? Cool  )

I'm baking an Acorn Squash maybe fill it with something and a salad, easy day.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I haven't been to Applebee's for a little while, but we both liked it. I used to have lunch there a lot when I was still working.

We are having some l/o ribs tonight. I'm going to oven roast some veggies with olive oil and Tony C's. Ron will probably want some french fries on the side.

Today is Alyssa's 12th birthday. It's always an emotional day for me as I remember all that she went through to be here. Her birthday party is tonight (more cake!) rather than on the weekend because they are leaving for vacation tomorrow morning, going to Treasure Island in Florida.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
She is an amazing girl, isn't she, Grandma Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
That relish sounds so fresh and healthy.

Something with chicken, not sure what yet, and MORE cauliflower.  Maybe I'll do that apricot chicken again.

Happy Birthday to your granddaughter, MA!
Thanks, T!

Do you have the salad dressing recipe?
Maryann

I do not, but would love to have it Maryann!  

I wound up picking up a rotissiere chicken for the sake of ease.  Still having cauliflower and cherries were on sale for $3.99/lb versus the $6.99/lb the other day so picked up some of those for dessert.
Here you go! This is so good and can be topped with just about any protein. I don't make the polenta croutons due to the high calorie content, but they sure do sound good. Sometimes I add some homemade croutons from day old Italian bread.

Simple Caesar Salad

For the Dressing-- Mash together:
1 tsp. garlic, chopped
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
Add:
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. mayonnaise
1 tsp. anchovy paste
1 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Tabasco
Whisk in:
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad--Fry:
½ cup prosciutto, thinly sliced
1 tsp. olive oil
Toss Together:
4½ cups Romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
2 cups mixed greens
½ cup Parmesan, grated

1. For the dressing---Mash garlic and salt together; place in bowl. Add Parmesan, lemon juice, mayonnaise, anchovy paste, Dijon, Worcestershire, and Tabasco. Stir until blended. Whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream to form an emulsion. Season with salt and pepper; chill.

2. For the Salad---Fry prosciutto in oil in a nonstick skillet until the edges start to curl (about 5 minutes) ; drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Toss lettuces with dressing, fried prosciutto, and Parmesan cheese. Top with warm croutons. (see recipe for Polenta croutons)

Yield: 6½ cups

Tips
Maryann's notes: I love this with prosciutto, but have subbed bacon on occasion. For the mashed anchovy, I buy the paste in a tube because it keeps for a very long time and it can be used in a lot of other dishes for seasoning.
-------------------------------------

Polenta Croutons

These can be made up to one day in advance and refrigerated. Warm croutons on a baking sheet for 15 minutes in a 350° oven if they have been chilled.

3 cups water
1 cup cornmeal
¼ tsp. kosher salt
2/3 cup heavy cream
½ cup Parmesan cheese -- grated

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Coat with nonstick spray.

2. Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Whisk in cornmeal and salt, reduce heat to medium low and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.

3. Stir in cream and ½ cup Parmesan. Spread mixture onto prepared pan and chill until firm, about 2 hours. Cut polenta into cubes the size of playing dice.

4. Heat vegetable oil (½-inch deep) in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Fry croutons in batches until golden brown on all sides, turning occasionally. Transfer croutons to a paper towel-lined plate and season with remaining Parmesan, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Yield: 3 cups
Maryann

Time to make a Caesar salad again. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/2/17??

What's for dinner today? 

No idea here yet
www.achefsjourney.com
You are all making me drool this morning.  

Thank you for posting the Caesar Salad recipe.  It reminds me of one our friend Francois used to make, we loved his salad and we really miss it.  Bottled Caesar dressing is no where near as good.

That apple relish sounds yummy Jean.  We seldom go to Appleby's, I guess we're kind of stuck on finding new ethnic restaurants or going to our favorite Taqueria for lunch.  We might have to try it the next time we go down to Tri Cities.

TGIF dinner tonight is going to be fried rice with some Chinese BBQ pork and lots of veggies.  I think I'll make marinated cucumbers to go with it for a fresh taste.  If it's hot I can take the induction burner and my little wok outside to cook.  Makes it nice!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!