DINNER THREAD - 5/22/17 - 5/28/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 5/22/17 - 5/28/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
OPEN IT! Big Grin

We may just put some burgers on the grill tonight, but that's not definite. Grilling fresh vegetables is definite! I might just make a pita pocket with them.

I made pineapple bars and spritz cookies this morning for my mother-in-law. When everything is cool, I have to divide everything up between snack size bags that can be kept in the basement refrigerator and brought out one at a time. Apparently with dementia, the person loses the feeling of being full and forgets that they just ate. That, and along with a craving for sweets can be a problem. So, we have to ration. But, the smile on her face when she sees me coming through the door always makes it worth it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I have the same problem, Maryann. I have to send my goodies to my nephew/niece for them to dole out to Roy's sis & b-i-l or they eat them all at once.

I opened Tracie's present so I can plan for tomorrow - Photobucket's not working for me right now so can't post pix, but it contained S.F. dry Salami, Bleu cheese, Choc. port and crackers. so lookin' like a charcuterie plate is in our future. The box from Mattie I'll keep for tomorrow. Smile

AND, a really good Dry Salami pizza, too!!! Love this stuff.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Chicken piccata and lemony green beans.  Need to get back on the low carb wagon.  Have gone off the reservation a little too much lately.  Wink
What a nice gift from Tracie! Wow! Smile I'm with you...love dry salami. Everything sounds so good!

Ron always makes fun of me when I'm buying pepperoni, too. He always tells me, "you're sooo Italian, picky, picky!" LOL It's true though. I am really picky about pepperoni. That, and what kind of canned tomatoes go into my sauce. Big Grin
Maryann

I know I'm repeating myself here, but when we lived in Illinois everyone coming out to visit from the West Coast had to bring two things with them - S.F. Sourdough bread and Dry Italian Salami. Then we would feast. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Sunday Dinner, 5/28/17??

What's on the menu for today?? 

I nixed my annual grilled T-Bone for my B'day dinner so I can watch the sodium, so I'm going with a grilled cheeseburger (I'll even forgo the bacon today... Rolleyes  ), but all the other goodies on an Onion roll.
www.achefsjourney.com
That is a really smart idea, Jean, and I'm glad you shared it. I am trying so hard to use less salt. I'm sorry about the steak, though. Sad
Maryann

Jean, I'm glad you're eating smart.  Try to take care of yourself!

Last week I fell off the cooking wagon.  It's so nice outside right now...my favorite part of the year.  I find that all I want to do when we finally get home is sit on the patio and sip wine and enjoy the weather and play with Tilly.

I pulled out a couple of New York Strip steaks from the freezer last night and we weren't happy with them.  So William asked for steak again today.  But Rib Eyes were way too high, so we decided to do London Broil.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Today was a cooking day for both of us. Ron slow smoked some babyback ribs and they were his best ones yet. 2 1/2 hours, indirect heat,  chunks of hardwood. We put a rub on them last night and left them out for an hour before they went on the grill.  Oh, and he sprayed with apple juice a couple of times during the process.

I made a double recipe of Jean's Antipasto Tortellini Salad from "A Chef's Journey...Home"  for Katie's graduation party tomorrow. It's been a while since I made it last and it was a huge hit with adults AND the kiddos.  They don't know yet that I made this.  Holly just told me she needed a pasta salad and since she had so much other stuff to do, of course I offered to make it. Big Grin

Daphne, when are we going to see some Tilly pics??? How is she adjusting to her new family? You do take her to work, right?
Maryann

Sounds like Katie had a wonderful graduation party! I need to make that tortellini salad again, it's been a while for us too. I'm making a drooling mess over Ron's ribs - they do sound wonderful.
www.achefsjourney.com