SUBSTITUTION FOR MISO
Thumbs Up    
Making this a separate thread so hopefully I can find it again!

This is a tale of teaching old dogs new tricks… and it’s long, sorry tale.
First of all to get it out of the way, because growing up I was not a fan of eggs and never did fix a soft-boiled egg in my life until today. I’m sure we’ve all made dishes which looking at the recipe, we like all the ingredients only to find out at plating/eating time, they just don’t work together. This tale is the opposite end result!

To start my tale, I don’t keep miso on hand because I use it so seldom, but I do enjoy making dishes with it…I’ve thrown out so many containers over the years after keeping and hoping it’s still good a year into its life. Time to look for a substitution for it, if I can find one.

Fast forward to a recipe I found for a sub – 1/4 cup mayo, 2 T. tomato paste and Thai Fish Sauce (no amt. suggested). Made this up using 2 tsps. fish sauce and have to admit I really liked the pungent flavor it added to the mix. I kept tasting it and could not decide whether to add an additional tsp. of fish sauce – finally decided to go with what I had. The more I tasted, the better I liked it.
I made 15 minute garlic butter Ramen noodles (a recipe from HalfBaked Harvest blog) calling for miso and a ‘soft-boiled egg’  Tongue   and also Miso Chicken, a N.Y. Times recipe.

Both dishes done and plated with the ‘soft-boiled egg’ completely massacred trying to remove it from the darn shell!! First taste and I was not impressed at all – BUT, then I drizzled a little Thai Sweet Chile Sauce to the side and wowza (as my friend Lorraine would say) The little bit of the sauce just brought everything together and became one of the best dinners in a while.
So, an opposite case of being dubious about the ingredients, but bringing them together gave us a delightful entrée.

I have to buy some real miso and give it a chance against the ‘Faux,’ but however the test turns out, I am making this combination again – especially for the chicken – it has a wonderful funky flavor. Here’s the recipe for the ‘miso’ chicken - https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017699-miso-chicken

I used a ‘humungous’ half chicken breast, boning it out and portioning – dipped each piece in the ‘faux-miso’ and baked 15 min., turned and finished for another 8-10 min.
It’s a repeat!! (only with poached eggs – I can do those!)
[Image: Apr%203%20Chicken%20ready%20for%20faux%2...fj00mz.jpg]
[Image: Apr%20Miso%20Ramen%20chicken_zpswchldh60.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: SUBSTITUTION FOR MISO by cjs ([size=small]Making t...)
Wow, I think you might be on to something. Can't wait to hear the result of your experiment because like you, I have tossed out containers of miso that I thought were in the fridge too long. Your dish looks yummy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Thanks Maryann
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Looks great Jean. Were you aware that miso paste basically lasts forever in the fridge? It is already fermented so if you use a clean implement to measure out what you need and seal it, it will keep in the back of the fridge. I love Japanese salad dressings with a bit of miso in them. BTW, I've subbed one kind for another without major issues.
I have seen differing opinions on this, Alina, so am never really sure how long to keep it. One source said it's fine as long as it's not growing anything fuzzy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I can't wrap my head around that theory, Alina - so, I'll keep playing. But, I do want to compare, just for fun. We sure like the flavor of the 'faux'
www.achefsjourney.com
In so far about how long miso lasts, it is in the same boat as vinegar, mustard and many other Asian ingredients. As long as it is closed properly, and not contaminated, it is almost impossible for it to spoil; any original bacteria it had could not survive the fermenting process.

About the interchangeability of the different kinds, true the taste differs in strength, but to my untrained palate, subbing red for white has not seemed to impair any dishes I've made. I view it the same as when recipes call for wine. The kind you use makes a subtle difference, but not noticeable to most, except for dishes like Beef in Barolo or subbing Manischewitz  wine for a good French Burgundy in Boeuf Bourguignon.

As an aside, even I was not aware of how much I use my Living Cookbook. My computer is at HP, getting the battery adapter port repaired and I feel dead in the water. Every time I think to make something I realize I don't have it. It finally dawned on me yesterday, that I have a good chunk of my recipes in Paprika on my iPad. My desktop had problems after I tinkered with the hardware, but this may get me to deal with it so I can get to LC. (I have everything backed up in several places). I should have my laptop back next week, so in the meantime, we are eating a lot of Costco premade and takeout.
I'll be hanging onto the miso I pick up soon, for a long time...we'll see how long. Smile

Finished up the leftovers of the 'miso experiment' with miso Ramen patties and warmed up miso chicken. I absolutely love the flavor the faux miso gives - I think I'll just give it another name rather then even compare it to classic miso. It is that well liked in this house.

The patties didn't hold together too well, will work on the additions - two turned out pretty well. But the flavor was certainly enjoyable.

[Image: Apr%205%20Miso%20Ramen%20chicken_zpsqkm6u4zt.jpg]

[Image: Apr%205%20Miso%20Ramen%20chicken%20plate...gvbxso.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, I'm not a member of the NY Times and it seems becoming a member is the only way to get the recipe?  Your dishes look delicious!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: RE: SUBSTITUTION FOR MISO by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I'm not a memb...)
Here you go:
Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • ½ cup white miso
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (do not use seasoned rice vinegar)
  • Black pepper, to taste
  • 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs, approximately 2 1/2 to 3 pounds
Preparation
  1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Combine butter, miso, honey, rice vinegar and black pepper in a large bowl and mix with a spatula or spoon until it is well combined.
  2. Add chicken to the bowl and massage the miso-butter mixture all over it. Place the chicken in a single layer in a roasting pan and slide it into the oven. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, turning the chicken pieces over once or twice, until the skin is golden brown and crisp, and the internal temperature of the meat is 160 to 165 degrees.
This review makes my point about subbing red miso for white:

I opted to use red miso, thinking the boost in flavour would be worthwhile. After sneaking a taste in the slathering-on stage, I worried maybe I'd overdone it; so it wasn't until I encountered the miso again, caramelized and schmaltzed to a fare-the-well at the recipe's end that I realized the true genius of this recipe. This is arguably the most toothsome chicken I've ever tasted. Five stars: most emphatically.