DINNER THREAD - 1/30 - 2/5/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 1/30 - 2/5/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Jean, I like looks of your gravy.  Care to share your pot roast recipe?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Pot roast & gravy looks wonderful.
I didn’t use either method called for below – I just put everything called for (beef thru  the brown sugar) in a pot and braised in the oven at 275° for 5 hours.

BEEF - Braised Beef with Shallots and Mushrooms

2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into serving-sized pieces (about 1 roast)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbs olive oil
8 oz small shallot, peeled (no shallots - used 1/2 med. onion)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, cut in quarters
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup Swanson® Beef Stock (I used the entire can of stock, holding back ~1/3 cup for the slurry*)
3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs packed brown sugar
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 lemon
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1. Season the beef with the salt and black pepper.

2. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until well browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the skillet. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.

3. Add the shallots to the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, mushrooms and flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.  Stir in the tomatoes.

4. Stir the stock, vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth.  Stir the stock mixture in the skillet and heat to a boil.  Return the beef to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.

5. Uncover the skillet and cook for 30 minutes or until the beef is fork-tender and the vegetables are tender.

6. Grate 2 tablespoons zest from the lemon. Stir the lemon zest and parsley in a small bowl.  Sprinkle the lemon zest mixture over the beef mixture.

Note:
•Alternate Preparation: To make this recipe in a slow cooker, omit the oil, increase the stock to 1 1/4 cups and the flour to 1/4 cup.  Season the beef with the salt and black pepper. Stir 1 cup stock, vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl.  Place the beef, shallots, garlic, mushrooms and tomatoes into a 4 1/2-quart slow cooker.  Add the stock mixture and stir to coat.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or until the beef is fork-tender.  Stir the remaining stock and flour in a small bowl until smooth.  Stir the flour mixture into the cooker.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 10 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.  Top with the lemon zest mixture as directed above.

* I added additional slurry (mixed with water later) to get the right consistency - I did this step on the stovetop.

Source: https://www.campbells.com/kitchen/recipe...mushrooms/
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
SUNDAY - SUPER BOWL - DINNER, 2/5/17??

What's for dinner (or munchies) today?? 

We're having this and that junk food - sausages w/different mustards, Chicken Bacon Lollipops and probably corn oysters. 

P.S. to Maryann - Roy couldn't find the beer you mentioned liking with the Asian food, so after much discussion with store folks and other customers, this is what he brought home.
Kirin's Prime Brew
Kirin Ichiban Malt 

So we'll see next week how it is. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thanks for the recipe, Jean.

We are having baby back ribs on this dreary cloudy day.  I think I have a small container of au gratin potatoes leftover from the holidays and I'll make a green salad.
how many years since I've made Au gratin potatoes....hmmmmm Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
I have a veggie tray and we are doing wings.  In addition, I may get motivated and prep tomorrow night's dinner.  I have chicken pastry with butter beans on the menu, and a by-product of this meal is chicken salad.  So if I get that done, we will have the chicken salad to snack on as well.  And while I'm boiling eggs for the salad, why not make extra for deviled eggs?  We'll see.
Daphne
It's all your fault, Trixxee!! Potatoes au gratin just came out of the oven.  What a lot of flavor to top a serving with some of the braised beef.  Heart Heart  Big Grin
www.achefsjourney.com
I may have to add those to the side rotation.  I don't think I've ever actually made them.

Deviled eggs and chicken salad are done.  The IP was great for both!  Wings are about to go on.  Ready for the game!
Daphne
I'm glad you are enjoying the IP as much as I am, Daphne. Wink

We just had dibs and dabs of l/os tonight. A couple of ribs, some rice, and some bean soup. I cooked some more Chinese broccoli, my latest favorite veggie, with oyster sauce.

Jean, I will be anxious to hear how you like the Japanese beer with whatever you decide to have it with.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."