DINNER THREAD 1/23/17 - 1/29/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD 1/23/17 - 1/29/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Jean, I'm sorry you weren't happy with the roast beef.  We loved ours.

Trixxee, I will add my congratulations to that teacher...and you and Tony as parents.  Even the neighbor's offering silent support and understanding!  As for how we sound on video, I agree that none of us like how we sound.  But William's brogue is the worst!  He called a huge corporation in NYC one time, and the CEO's secretary couldn't stop laughing at him...most people around here are from all over the country and ask him to repeat almost everything he says!  And to top it all off, he hates Siri!  She can't understand a word he says!  When I told him about the grandma from Louisianna on a FN show having subtitles, he said, maybe I needed subtitles!   Rolleyes

Anyway, we had French Dips.  I offered to do salad, but he said the sandwich was all he wanted.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
No, Daphne, I was perfectly happy with yhe roast!! I just am not enamored with that I.P.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh!  Gotcha!  It's a kinesthetic(?) thing?  Smelling the dish cooking up in the room?  I know what you mean.  But in my new situation, this thing is majorly amazing!
Daphne
I can certainly relate to what Jean is saying. Not that long ago, I did old fashioned beef stew in my dutch oven for that very reason. But, have to admit that using the IP has really been saving me time when I need to be doing other things and the food turns out really well for me.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Lifestyles dictate. I'm thinking. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
T.G.I.F. Dinner, 1/27/17??

What's for dinner today?? 

Probably something with the l/o roast here.

Has anyone heard of 'corn oysters'? I'm reading a Robert Parker (Spenser) book and he and Susan are finishing 'corn oysters' - had to look this one up and now they are on my list to make. I love corn fritters and these oysters evidently are similar, but pan fried rather than deep dried. I'm intrigued.   Big Grin  

Altho, there seems to be different opinions on how to cook, form and name them.............. Tongue
www.achefsjourney.com
Yep, lifestyles do dictate. Funny how it's always changing and evolving, too.

I bought a bunch of red bell peppers yesterday at the produce market, so going to make stuffed peppers. Of course, Ron has to have mashed potatoes with his. Wink
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Yup!  Life styles changing and evolving are my middle name these days!

I had never heard of corn oysters.  Considering your love of fritters and corn, these are right up your alley, Jean!

Tonight is the Orange Glazed Salmon with Lemon Rice and leftover green beans.

If I don't opt out on this one, I am proud to say, I have cooked almost every night this week.  It is getting easier.  Although, the Japanese Fried Chicken was a real challenge for space for a breading station and trying to make sure I didn't have any cross contamination issued.  And then there was the issue of timing everything. I use four pots for this dish and sides at home, so a lot of planning was involved in getting it all done and served hot.  Not to mention the mountain of dishes to wash afterward!  But I did it!  And I'd do it again.  We enjoy that dish that much!
Daphne
Daphne, where is the recipe for your Japanese Fried Chicken?? Maybe there are some shortcuts??

You have my number re fritters and corn, Daphne Smile Smile Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
I'm amazed you pulled that off Daphne - that is a lot of dishes, work and space!  And thanks for the kind "Michael" words.  He's had a rough week - finals week at school and just failed his second written driving test at the DMV.  He doesn't seemed bothered by it.  But I sure as heck am not looking forward to a third time back to that god forsaken place.  Wink

While we were gone Tony put a dry rub on some baby back ribs and they are in the oven on low.  Will throw them on the grill at the end.  I think we're just having a green salad with it.