DINNER THREAD 1/23/17 - 1/29/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD 1/23/17 - 1/29/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Glad all is (mostly) okay, Trixxee. Your chicken dish sounds really good. Copied and saved.

I'm slowly working my way around to the lower carb routine, also. Seems to be the only way I can drop any weight. I am picking up this book at the library:

https://www.amazon.com/VB6-Cookbook-Reci...vegetarian

I don't plan on becoming a vegetarian, but could possibly follow the idea of fruit and veggies for two meals and a more flexible dinner.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I put last night's dinner in the wrong thread!  OOPS!

We had a late lunch and my fish sandwich was huge, so we will probably skip wing night and have leftover Light Zuppa Tuscano.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Like the flavors, Trixxee.

I've got to say, the Rum liqueur test for my friend has sure been fun and very interesting. I'm liking the saying, "Save the best for last!" - made burgers out of the last 2 patties (bun, patty, Thai Sweet Chile sauce, Miracle Whip (just a tad), pickled onions, lettuce) It was wonderful - we were licking our fingers!!

First dish - kept the dishes separate - Jerk Chicken & Jerk Swt. potatoes
[Image: Jan%2020%20Test%20recipe%20with%20Sarahs...gm1e4o.jpg]

second dish - made patties from leftovers -
[Image: Jan%2022%20Jamaican%20patties%20plated%2...jup4wd.jpg]

Lastly - today Jamaican Burgers - Heart  Heart  Heart
[Image: Jan%2024%20Jamaican%20burger_zpsprmxbyh1.jpg]

The whole thing is really too convoluted and too many ingredients, but I'm going to try using a commercial (maybe Penzey's) Jerk seasoning because I don't think too many folks are willing to go to the trouble of making their own seasoning mix. Also, the method can use a lot of shortcakes to get to the patties....so more fun!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
How do you like the book, Maryann - I find I rate a book by how much we like the first dish tried. Maybe not fair, but it seems to turn out that way. Smile I may go to library and see if they have it.

I remember you talking about the birthday 'boy' and his wife from past years you've gotten together with them. Hope it was another fun time!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wednesday's Dinner - 1/25/17??

What's on the menu for today?? 

A trailer mechanic is coming about noontime ( Dodgy  ) to fix the heater (Thank God it worked thru the really cold nights!!), so will be soup  or something that can work around his schedule.

The motley crew got together last  night at a Mexican dive and as I was boxing up our leftovers, one of the Styrofoam containers collapsed as I turned to pass it to Roy. Ended up all in his lap - a messy taco salad topped with big 'plops' of sour cream and guac. Rolleyes  Poor Roy - what a mess. 
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh no!  I can only imagine the deafening stunned silence that went around the table immediately after.  Everyone's mouths probably dropped!

I am marinating a tri tip, Santa Maria style to be grilled later.  And then usually we make chili out of the leftovers, we shall see.  STILL have some sweet potatoes to roast and then maybe an iceberg salad.  I would like some asparagus - will see what it costs in a little while.  I can't afford $4.99/lb though!
Will check out the book - thanks MA.  Photos look great Jean.
I didn't get to the library yet, Jean. I had just gotten the email that the book was in and was getting ready for the birthday party. I will pick it up this afternoon.

We have another turkey frame, so it's going into the Instant Pot to make the stock for Turkey Tortilla Soup. Might have to make a "toasty" sandwich for Ron if he is really hungry.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I pulled out the stops tonight, and really tested myself and my little kitchen.  With one skillet and one sauce pan, I managed the Japanese Fried Chicken with regular rice and French-style green beans.  I have been craving it for weeks!   Pulled it off with considerable effort, but it was truly worth it!  And now I have enough left to freeze for two more meals!  BIG WIN!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
That's wonderful, Daphne! Leftovers sure are saviors in an RV. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com