DINNER THREAD - 1/9/17 - 1/15/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 1/9/17 - 1/15/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Long time no see! Hi guys! 

I'm making the Asian brown rice & tofu with shiitakes from this months' issue. It's going to have to be white rice or quinoa instead of the brown rice because that's what I have on hand.
Lots of rain all over the darn place in CA (though we need it).  I think by Friday most of it will be gone though.  I hope they still have a good time, Maryann.

I had a coupon for a whole chicken/tortillas/salsa from El Pollo Loco so I picked that up already.  Will either have tacos or quesadillas with it.  That place has gotten very pricey if you don't have a coupon.
Hi there, Red!! I'll be back in the morning for a proper welcome back.....I'm drinking wine right now. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Welcome back, Red!  I hope you'll post your results!

I worked late, and William wasn't feeling well this afternoon, so I sent him home early.  They couldn't work in the field due to drizzle and rain, anyway.  

I've wanted to have chicken noodle soup over the past weeks, but since William wasn't feeling well, I didn't think a lot of activity in the kitchen would be welcome.  So I went back to childhood and got Campbell's and lots of Ritz Crackers.  I also made use of the last bits and pieces of the holiday cheeses with grilled cheese sandwiches for him.

I think it was a satisfactory compromise.  Work is morphing into new patterns, and I need to take a hard look and make it work for me and the success of the company.  I've just got to figure it all out.  OIY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Again, welcome back, Red - it's good to see old friends come back to the fold. Smile Hope you stick around for a while. With more folks around we can have lots more diversified topics going on. Fingers crossed.

It's a whole new way of life you and William have taken on, Daphne. The year we spent on the road was a wonderful eye-opener for me - of course, we weren't working, but it was an experience!

Maryann, we lived in Healdsburg (Sonoma County - very near Napa) for years, and my best friend, Coleenie still lives there, so we're very familiar with the Russian (our property line went to the river) river and the flooding in the areas. Guerneville used to flood darn near every year taking homes silly folks continued to build and rebuild in the paths of the rivers. It's so beautiful I sure hate that they won't see the area at its finest.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wednesday's Dinner - 1/11/17??

What's on the menu for everyone today?? 

Have no idea here - I dog eared so many pages in the new issue, I should look thru and choose one to try.....
www.achefsjourney.com
Yeah, I hate it too, Jean. James was so excited about surprising Heather with this trip. They sent a photo last night from the Flamingo in Las Vegas where they had a nice anniversary dinner. This morning they are flying to Oakland and renting a car to drive to Napa. I told her about the flooding, but they don't seem to be changing their itinerary. Said they will make the most of it.

I have a whole chicken brining. Our weather is sooo weird. We've had really cold weather, then last night it turned to rain and we had really high winds up to 70 mph. Lots of trees down. Now today, it's warming up so I think the chicken will go on the grill.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Turning leftover slices of meatloaf into patty melts.  If I can even eat - I'm so excited!  Yesterday Disneyland announced their yearly So. Cal. resident promotion and I cannot believe they are offering this.  A THREE day pass for $149.  Unheard of price.  So we made plans with my sister's family to go.  This will take care of my nephew's birthday celebration and Michael's birthday.  Made hotel reservations too even though we only live about 20 minutes away.  It's just so much easier to stay within walking distance of the park.
Wow! Won't that be fun! Congratulations on such a great deal. Smile

Roy had one of his favorites today - Pesto Pasta with garlicky- garlic toast.
I found a small rack of ribs in the freezer and winter or no, I'm going to do some ribs, baked beans and slaw and pretend. I made the beans today, so they are 'aging' in the fridge. We'll have an indoor picnic Saturday during the Hawks playoff game. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, I like the "garlicy garlic toast".  Smile A lot of garlic in that, eh???

Spent today starting to un-decorate the house, so I wanted something easy.  I have a few slices of the stuffed pork from last weekend, cornbread from a potluck dinner last night, and will make a CAH favorite to go with-- lemon-braised butternut squash.  

I was walking Bear and came across a large field with what looked like a thousand snow geese milling about.  At first I thought it was the only area around here that still had snow, then noticed movement...  could kick myself for not having my phone with me for a photo!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com