Sous Vide Risotto
Thumbs Down    
Sous Vide Risotto - I ran across a website for Sous Vide and got very excited when going thru the recipes and ideas they offered – methods for artichokes, for Risotto, polenta, butternut squash, and many more. For a last minute dish, I decided to give the Risotto a try. Has anyone ever tried doing this? And, if so, and it was successful, please let me know how/what you did.

This was absolutely the biggest mess of nothing I’ve ever done.  If the first recipe I try from a source is successful, I’m confident in trying more of their offerings. BUT, when the first one is a disaster of the magnitude of this Risotto, I’m not sure I even want to try another one.

Here’s the recipe and if anyone can figure out what is wrong with it or if it is just impossible to do rice in Sous Vide, please let me know.

Garlic Cheese Risotto
90 g Arborio rice
1 teaspoon (5 ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons (30 ml) roasted minced garlic (jarred)
720 ml chicken or vegetable broth
1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves only, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup grated Romano cheese

Fill and preheat your water bath to 183F/83C.
Put all ingredients, except the cheese, into a zip-closure cooking pouch.
Use the displacement method (Archimedes Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal.
Fully place the pouch into water and cook for 45 minutes.
Open the pouch, fluff the rice with a fork, and transfer to a warm serving bowl.
Stir in the cheese and serve with salad, crusty bread and some chilled white wine.

https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/category/recipes/
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sous Vide Risotto by cjs ([color=#000000][size...)
Never occurred to me to try it sous vide. However Pressure Cooker risotto is excellent and super easy. Modernist Cuisine has it as a PC recipe not sous vide and Serious Eats has not talked about it at all. Do try it in the IP.
Thanks Alina.
I understand about the IP, but really I'm not always looking for fast. And, I want to find about more about this method...so the research continues.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
IMHO...risotto should be lovingly made on the stovetop, gently stirring and adding broth a little at a time until it reaches creamy perfection at around 25 minutes. Patience and a glass of wine help. My daughter, Heather, calls it meditative. Big Grin

On a more serious note, I have no idea why it didn't turn out well in the sous vide. Were you able to do anything with it after you took it out, like cook it more on the stove in a pan? Or was it just a mushy mess? Did you put any cheese in the cooking pouch with the rice? That may have interfered with the absorption of water.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
That's the way I've always made risotto, Maryann, just experimenting with the new toys a little. I did exactly as the recipe stated - the cheese was to be added later.

After 45 min. @ 183° - the rice, seasonings, and liquid was exactly as it was when it went in the pot - maybe the rice was a little cooked, but not much.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, I was just teasing about the risotto method. My daughter actually likes to stand at the stove and stir the risotto. LOL

I thought of one more thing. The brand of risotto you buy makes a huge difference in the final dish. Here is an article about that. Interestingly, Chef June made a comment on it, also.

https://food52.com/hotline/6634-arborio-...heapest-bu
Maryann

Well Piddle - I only know to look for Arborio - and in this Podunk town, I'm lucky to find that!! Smile No problem, Maryann.

Risotto is like bread making for me - for a hundred years I looked to shortcuts for making bread, but after I retired I learned I love the slower rising, kneading by hand, the whole shootin' match of 'slow cooking' Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, I wasn't suggesting pressure cooker because it's fast. I was suggesting it because it is good. You might try two batches using exactly the same ingredients, one stove top and one PC and compare. Serious Eats has a nice article on what to do with leftover risotto.

The sous vide recipe calls for 1 cup of rice to 3 cups water. In sous vide, there is no place for that water to go at the temp since is not high enough for the water to boil to cook the rice. For regular rice you'd use a 1:1 ratio with a 200° F temp, changing the time depending on the rice. I realize you want some water left for risotto, but it stills need to evaporate some or you'd end up with uncooked rice soup. Did you throw the mess out?
Okay, Alina, you have convinced me to try it in the IP. Unlike my daughter, I don't actually like to stand there and stir it for 25 minutes.

Would you mind posting recipe or telling me where to find it? Smile
Maryann

Here are some options: Saffron Risotto . Below is a great one, and below that a simple one.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH PRESSURE COOKER RISOTTO

I used the Squash variation. It was great. They recommend Arborio. I generally like my rice very tender, dry and separated and 2) it seem very tedious to stand and stir for ½ hour or more. However, a saw a recipe for arancinas that looked delicious, and there was a version with butternut squash. I had some of the later left over from Ina's couscous dish, so I figured it was worth a try. I am now a risotto convert. Despite my inexperience, ( I had no idea what the final product should be) it turned out great. I am not sure I will have enough for the arancinas because DH went back after he finished eating and scooped some out to make sure he had some for another meal before I could put it away. It was so easy and quick. I used my old Mirro 6 QT cooker, and Swanson's regular chicken broth (DH bought it and it is full sodium, so I cut the salt in the recipe, I did not want to use the homemade stuff in case it was a disaster). I did use good fresh grated parm, fresh lemon, and a lovely Viogner. I will definitely make this again and play with other veggies and add-ins, mushrooms for sure and maybe pancetta which like bacon and chocolate make everything better.

Servings: 8

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

4 TBS. Unsalted butter
3 Garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 Onion , chopped fine
1 lb. Butternut Squash , peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes, (optional variation)
2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup White wine
4 ½ cups Low-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp. Kosher salt (Diamond)
2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, (about 1 cup)plus extra for garnish
¼ cup Minced fresh Parsley
(1 tsp Minced fresh Sage, Variation)
1 TBS. Lemon Juice
Salt
pepper to taste.
(Variation toasted sliced almonds)

Melt the butter over medium-high heat in 6-quart pressure cooker. Add onion; (Variation add butternut squash), sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Stir in the rice and cook until the edges begin to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add wine; simmer until almost absorbed about 2 minutes. Stir in 3 ½ cups of the broth and 1 tsp table salt (I use 2 Kosher Diamond) scraping up any rice that sticks.

Cover cooker, securing lid, and bring to high pressure over high heat. Cook for exactly 4 minutes, adjusting the heat to maintain high pressure.

Remove the pressure cooker from the heat and allow the pressure to naturally release for 1 minute, then quick release any remaining pressure. (I have very old cookers, so I just put mine in the sink and run it under very cold water until pressure releases)  .

When pressure has dropped, carefully remove lid away from you.

Stir in ½ cup of the remaining broth and cook over medium heat, uncovered  and stirring often until the rice grains are mostly tender, about 4 minutes. (If after 4 minutes the rice is still not cooked, but the pot is dry, continue to cook adding the remaining ½ cup broth as needed, until the rice is mostly tender ( swelled, yet firm at its center).

Replace the lid (do not lock) and let the risotto sit off the heat until it is nicely thickened and the rice grains are completely tender, about 4 minutes. Before serving. stir in the Parmesan, parsley (Variation fresh sage) and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds before serving.

Recipe Type: Butternut Squash, Cook's Illustrated, Rice, Side Dish

Source: ATK Family Cook's Illustrated July 1, 1996
Web Page: http://missvickie.com/howto/grains/howtorisotto.html

Pressure-Cooker Parmesan Risotto

A dish that typically requires near-constant stirring, risotto is probably low on most lists of side dish options. But not for home cooks with a pressure cooker. After sautéing aromatics and toasting the rice for a few minutes, we stirred in wine, then broth. Then, instead of stirring for up to 30 minutes, we simply locked on the lid and let the magic happen. Six minutes under pressure delivered risotto that was almost done. From that point, we simmered the risotto for a few minutes, stirring for just 6 minutes, until it was perfectly creamy. A little Parmesan was the only finishing touch needed for this simple recipe, although you may also garnish with parsley and shaved Parmesan, if desired.

Yield: Serves 4

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion -- chopped fine
3 garlic cloves -- minced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth -- warmed
1 ounce Parmesan cheese -- grated ( 1/2 cup), plus extra for serving
Salt and pepper

1. BUILD FLAVOR: Melt butter in pressure-cooker pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in rice and toast lightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Stir in 3 1/4 cups broth. Using wooden spoon, scrape up any rice sticking to bottom of pot.

2. HIGH PRESSURE FOR 6 MINUTES: Lock pressure-cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure over medium-high heat. As soon as pot reaches high pressure, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 6 minutes, adjusting heat as needed to maintain high pressure.

3. QUICK RELEASE PRESSURE: Remove pot from heat. Quick release pressure, then carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.

4. BEFORE SERVING: Continue to cook risotto over medium heat, stirring constantly, until rice is tender and liquid has thickened, about 6 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and season with salt and pep- per to taste. Before serving, add remaining 3/4 cup broth as needed to loosen risotto consistency.

Source: Cooks Illustrated
Web Page: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes...erience_28