DINNER THREAD - 1/2/17 - 1/8/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 1/2/17 - 1/8/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Wednesday's Dinner - 1/4/17??

What's on the menu for today??

Last of the l/os from NYs - stroganoff with the steak and noodles.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Ron cooked our pork roast on Monday since we didn't make it for NY's. I'm thinking of slicing the l/os for pork with pappardelle pasta, but then a Cuban sandwich is also calling my name. Guess my appetite is coming back... Big Grin
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I'm going to make this dish, but I think I only have 6 shrimp in the freezer and I think I only have 2 chicken tenderloins so I'll do a combo shrimp/chicken with the broccoli.  Not sure if I'll make rice or not - probably shouldn't!

http://peasandcrayons.com/2016/02/szechu...cipei.html
That sounds tasty!  Let us know if it is a hit!

Worked late today, so I ordered pizza.

Last night we had a nice time at Loco Jo's for Tuesday wing night!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I wound up making macadamia nut crusted chicken so I don't have a review of this szechwan dish - yet.
Thursday's Dinner - 1/5/17??

What's for dinner today?

Another forum I'm on is doing a fun challenge - use an ingredient(s) we've never used before in a dish. A while back Maryann made a dish with black pepper sauce and I bought a jar to make it also. But, it got pushed back on the shelf and forgotten.

So, today I'm making Chinese Chicken with Black Pepper Sauce and I'll have to look for the recipe she made....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Chicken tortilla soup here with a small cheese quesadilla on the side.
I'm going to make 2 Black Pepper sauces to compare. One is just out of the jar of Lee Kim Kee sauce and also making a black pepper sauce from scratch....so far, great flavors.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, I hope I'm not too late with this. We found that right out of the jar, the black pepper sauce was not only hot, but very salty. It needs to be diluted with water 50/50.

We're suppose to go out tonight to celebrate our anniversary (43 years) but the weather turned bad and Ron isn't home yet. Traffic is at a crawl. So, we might be ordering Chinese tonight instead and go out this weekend.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Wow! I think of you two as kids, but you're only 5 years behind us...........but, then this is the 2nd for both of us. Tongue Congratulations!!

Our dinner today -
My challenge today (from a food forum to make use of a new product) was to use a jar of Lee Kim Kee Black Pepper Sauce. A friend and I each bought this product a few months ago, but I never got around to using it. Today, I used it to top rice, but I also wanted to compare it to a ‘from scratch’ black pepper sauce, so I made both for comparison.

For the commercial sauce all I did was marinate chicken in a  mix of Oyster sauce, Sesame oil, garlic, and cornstarch; stir-fry it and add the sauce and serve over rice. This is a great, easy project and perfect for ‘working folk’ still in need of fast dinners.

The other was a little more involved, but I can’t say it was a lot better – rather they were both just different, tasty dinners.  I’ll use both again. I thought a Gewurztraminer would be a good match, but not so much – it was a little better with the commercial sauce than the from scratch sauce. I think a Riesling would be better.

[Image: Jan%205%20Chicken%20w%20Black%20Pepper%2...ezhnb7.jpg]

Was a little salty, but love the flavor. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com