DINNER THREAD - 1/2/17 - 1/8/17

Monday's Dinner, 1/2/17??

What's on the menu for today?? 

I have one swt. tato left and some slices of steak, maybe I can stretch it far enough for the two of us.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 1/2/17 - 1/8/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Chicken soft tacos with homemade guacamole, and Tony is making refried beans from scratch for the first time.
Homemade refried beans! yes! Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I really need to try that some time.  I like retried beans, but William doesn't care for them.  But I have a feeling that if I made them from scratch, he would.

You know, I've had regular tacos and fish tacos, but I have never had chicken tacos.

Anyway, we are having a repeat from last night.  I would have loved to have my BBQ on a bun with slaw, but I'm the only one that wants it that way, so I decided it wasn't worth buying and possibly wasting buns. Dodgy
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Tuesday's Dinner, 1/3/17??

What's on the menu for today? 

I'm working with my leftover steak and l/o sweet potatoes.  who knows. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Leftovers here as well.  Chicken tacos and refried beans.

Jean - I seem to remember you making a steak milanesa type of recipe before.  Any chance you have that handy in the upcoming days?
To me steak Milanese is just a Chicken fried steak and yes, I love doing this. But, maybe it’s not what you’re looking for??

BEEF - CHICKEN FRIED STEAK
[Image: June%2014%20Chicken%20Fried%20Steak_zpsolqpdl4i.jpg] 
2 lbs beef bottom round, trimmed of excess fat
 2 teaspoons kosher salt
 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 1 cup all-purpose flour
 3 whole eggs, beaten
 1/4 cup vegetable oil
 2 cups chicken broth
 1/2 cup whole milk
 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

2. Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices. Season each piece on both sides with the salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Place the eggs into a separate pie pan. Dredge the meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the meat, using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Once tenderized, dredge the meat again in the flour, followed by the egg and finally in the flour again. Repeat with all the pieces of meat. Place the meat onto a plate and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.

3. Place enough of the vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a 12-inch slope-sided skillet and set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the meat in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook each piece on both sides until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a wire rack set in a half sheet pan and place into the oven. Repeat until all of the meat is browned.

4. Add the remaining vegetable oil, or at least 1 tablespoon, to the pan. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of the flour left over from the dredging. Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Whisk until the gravy comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Add the milk and thyme and whisk until the gravy coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste, with more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve the gravy over the steaks.

----------
Our leftovers today were wonderful!!! Sweet Potato Quesadillas - with Crème Fraiche and Caviar  Heart   Cool
[Image: Jan%203%20Swt.%20Potato%20Quesadilla_zpscwtlhvpk.jpg]
Layered:

Flour tortilla
Mashed Baked Sweet Potato
Jack cheese
Black beans
Candied Jalapeno peppers
-----
Garnish with crème fraiche, jack cheese and caviar
Wine: Fetzer Gewürztraminer - perfect

www.achefsjourney.com
Wow - good use of leftovers!

Thanks, but I guess I was thinking of someone else.  The "steak" had a tomato based sauce rather than a white gravy.  I think I can pull something together.
Oh piddle, didn't we do a Mediterranean type steak (w/Kalamatas, capers(?), and some other great flavors just a couple months ago??
www.achefsjourney.com
I'm thinking so, but I'm also thinking it was a couple of years ago.  LOL.