a quick question... :)

I decided to have a cocktail party to gether my new friends together, and was shocked that the guest list numbered 42!  So far we have 36 confirmed.  THIS is why I'm not on this site often-- I do pop in to keep up on things but I've been kept so busy here in my "new life" that I don't have time to do a lot of the things I enjoyed when we lived at the farm (like chat on CAH!).

I purchased a couple of packages of spanakapita and a guy who was buying 6 (!!!) boxes told me that he serves them with chutney and they go "like this! " (snapping his fingers).  He was gone in a flash and I didn't have the chance to ask him what kind chutney???  What do you all think???

This size of a party is new to me, and I have 12 days to go to get it together-- yikes!!!  But... I love it! Blush
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: a quick question... :) by foodfiend (I decided to have a ...)
Good to see you, Vicci - from my days at the hotel and every darn bride wanting Spanakopita, here are my suggestions.

Dipping Sauces –honey mustard, herbed sour cream, salsa, sweet ‘n sour sauce, roasted red pepper dip or any of the chutneys would be good - mango, fig, etc.

Or here’s one that is very good with them -
Lemon Dipping Sauce
1 /2 cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
1 ¾ tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Greek Seasoning blend

Greek Seasoning
2 teaspoons salt
 2 teaspoons garlic powder
 2 teaspoons dried basil
 2 teaspoons dried Greek oregano
 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
 1 teaspoon dried parsley
 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, minced
 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
 1 teaspoon cornstarch
 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all and/or use  spice blender for a finer seasoning.

have fun
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thank you, Jean!  Big Grin   I'm going to use the lemon dipping sauce (will sub Greek yogurt for the sour cream, though, unless you tell me that I shouldn't...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
Nope - that sounds good. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Hi Vicci!!!!  It's great to "see" you!  

WOW!  Forty-two guests!?!?!  I'm in awe!  Good luck and have fun!  I'd love to see pictures from your party!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I realized that I never updated this.   Rolleyes

The party went very well, 38 guests plus DH and me.  Unfortunately I had to have an emergency root canal the week before which, when the tooth split, I needed to see another dentist for an extraction.  I lost 4 days of prep and was a bit frazzled!  But two of my new friends stepped in (one spent an afternoon making dips and sauces, another came over the day before and sliced/ chopped veggies, cheese, meats, etc.) so I didn't go too crazy!

In addition to finding out how difficult it is to plan for what, and how much, this number of people will drink, we added to our wine cellar by over-buying.  Actually, I over-bought everything!  But too much is better than too little and now I have freezer apps for another use.

We had wine and beer, and a recipe that I think is from CAH called Ruby Sippers (a syrup made of cranberry and orange, then mixed with prosecco in each individual glass).  Also learned that buying glass wineglasses from DollarTree was a smart move!

The menu (the starred items were purchased):

Spanikopita *
cranberry chutney
lemon
Mini Quiches *
Franks in a Blanket *
chipote mustard
BBQ ketchup
Mini Meatballs in port wine sauce

Baked Brie *

Antipasti skewers 
Shrimp with orange rum sauce and cocktail sauce 
Cheese and crackers
Vegs 
Thai peanut dip
Pita chips with red pepper walnut dip

Banana Rum Raisin Cake
Pumpkin Spice Cake with pecans and cranberries
Chocolate Almond torte
Assorted cookies
Spiced Nuts
Salted caramels

As the hours ticked away toward The Party I swore that I would never do this extensive of an event again.  Afterward as I finished cleaning up (many friends stayed to help do this, too!) I began to plan how to do it better next year. Blush  We will see...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
I realized that I never updated this.   Rolleyes

The party went very well, 38 guests plus DH and me.  Unfortunately I had to have an emergency root canal the week before which, when the tooth split, I needed to see another dentist for an extraction.  I lost 4 days of prep and was a bit frazzled!  But two of my new friends stepped in (one spent an afternoon making dips and sauces, another came over the day before and sliced/ chopped veggies, cheese, meats, etc.) so I didn't go too crazy!

In addition to finding out how difficult it is to plan for what, and how much, this number of people will drink, we added to our wine cellar by over-buying.  Actually, I over-bought everything!  But too much is better than too little and now I have freezer apps for another use.

We had wine and beer, and a recipe that I think is from CAH called Ruby Sippers (a syrup made of cranberry and orange, then mixed with prosecco in each individual glass).  Also learned that buying glass wineglasses from DollarTree was a smart move!

The menu (the starred items were purchased):

Spanikopita *
cranberry chutney
lemon sauce
Mini Quiches *
Franks in a Blanket *
chipote mustard
BBQ ketchup
Mini Meatballs in port wine sauce

Baked Brie *

Antipasti skewers 
Shrimp with orange rum sauce and cocktail sauce 
Cheese and crackers
Vegs 
Thai peanut dip
Pita chips with red pepper walnut dip

Banana Rum Raisin Cake
Pumpkin Spice Cake with pecans and cranberries
Chocolate Almond torte
Assorted cookies
Spiced Nuts
Salted caramels

As the hours ticked away toward The Party I swore that I would never do this extensive of an event again.  Afterward as I finished cleaning up (many friends stayed to help do this, too!) I began to plan how to do it better next year. Blush  We will see...

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
"As the hours ticked away toward The Party I swore that I would never do this extensive of an event again."

Yeah, sure!! You will be back at it in no time!! You have a wonderful group of new friends in this new chapter of your life!! Good on you/ Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
I agree with Jean, Vicci!  With all these new friends, especially ones willing to pitch in to help you get things ready and eager to stay and chat while helping clean up, you'll enjoy entertaining more and more.  Just maybe not on such a large scale on a regular basis.

But I must say, I am so proud of the number of purchased items you served!  You've come a long way! Big Grin
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
You know, I was impressed with how the frozen, purchased apps tasted.  Especially those little hot dogs, they really were good and I couldn't keep up with the demand.  And at the prices I paid at Sam's and BJ's, well I would have been crazy to try to make them from scratch!  Lesson learned!!   Wink

It took me a while to adjust, but I love living here.  And my new friends (who cook!  a lot of them cook!!!  and reciprocate our invitations!!!  Have I died and gone to heaven?!?!?)   Angel
Vicci

my cooking adventures