Dinner Thread - 11/28/16 - 12/4/16
  Re: Dinner Thread - 11/28/16 - 12/4/16 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Sunday Dinner - 12/4/16??

What's on the menu for everyone today??

Found the last pkg. of Sweet & Sour chicken from our Asian dinner a while back, so will play with it and rice. 
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Page 47 in Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!! My go-to recipe for pizza sauce. Wink

Recipe calls for cider vinegar, but I sometimes use balsamic.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Thanks!

P.S. Oh, for heaven's sakes - I always add vinegar to my marinara/tomato sauces................ duh!
Daphne, you really started something here. Wink
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
C@H's chicken with almond butter sauce, smashed red potatoes and a baby greens salad.
Just remembered I took a picture of our snack last night - so tasty. Open face Ham sliders topped with lots of grainy mustard, corn relish and candied jalapenos. Smile Smile Smile

[Image: dec%203%20005_zpsdtwlrxyi.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
Who knew the mention of a little family tradition would start all this?!?!  LOL!  And here we are again with leftover fried chicken tonight sooooooo....the vinegar is already on the table.

Jean, I'm guessing you added more vinegar as you ate?  I use quite a bit and full flavor cider vinegar.  I know you don't have fried chicken much, but you really should try it on fried.  The vinegar soaks up in the crust....got me drooling here!

While we are on vinegar, we use vinegar on cooked greens.  That is probably well known, just throwing it out there.  And Jean, did you ever try my fried corn bread?  We always have that with cooked greens, collards mostly, and William likes to put vinegar on his corn bread.  I don't....as a kid I HATED for my roll or cornbread to get soggy on my plate.  And watching my grandfather put one of my grandmother's beautiful biscuits in a bowl with milk and sugar was positively gross!  LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Hmmm, I'll have to think about some of these things, Daphne. I just may have to do a real fried chicken and try it out.

"cooked greens, collards mostly, and William likes to put vinegar on his corn bread."

uhh, not a greens fan and don't think I can handle vinegar on corn bread. Like you - sounds positively gross :Smile) Smile 

But, my Grandpa did get me to enjoy smashed soda crackers with cold, cold milk and sugar.
www.achefsjourney.com
I never liked greens growing up, hated would be a better word.  But one year, we spent New Years with a friend's family at their river house.  One was a chef and he was in charge of the collards.  He cut them in large ribbons and cooked them in chicken stock.  I believe there may have been sautéed onion and a pinch of red pepper flakes in there as well.  The thing is, he barely cooked them through.  They didn't taste anything like the oily smoked meat over cooked mush of my childhood.  Mom has since confessed she didn't like them that way either.  She always used a good ham bone in hers, but since I was introduced to the way my grandmother's made them, I would never try hers.

Another important point....collards picked before the frost will be bitter tasting, but after frost they will be milder and sweeter...closer to cabbage.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
interesting
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh, I just love greens and could eat them every day. My mom was from the South and grew up eating greens so she liked to cook them. I was the only other family member who would eat them with her. I like them with a couple of good shakes of Sriracha.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."