Dinner Thread - 11/21/15 - 11/27/16
  Re: Dinner Thread - 11/21/15 - 11/27/16 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Wow!! What a week you have had, MS Daphne!! (and, of course, William! Smile )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thursday's Dinner - 11/24/16??

Turkey Day is here!!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day, everyone!
[Image: th95EZE8KI_zpsohohismq.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYBODY!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
T.G.I.F. Dinner  - 11/25/16??

What's on the menu for today besides leftovers?????????????? :Smile

Since we didn't have pumpkin pie for dessert yesterday, I think I'll make pumpkin French toast for brunch this morning. Maybe ham sandwiches later.... 
www.achefsjourney.com
Leftovers, of course! Best part about cooking Thanksgiving dinner!

Last night, after everyone left, I put the turkey frame and all the bones into my stockpot. Following Michael Ruhlman's method for overnight stock, I filled the pot with water and put it into my basement oven, just under 200° and no lid. Jean, I think you have mentioned doing it this way, too. So easy and nice clear stock.

I will use the stock to cook my mother-in-law's famous homemade noodles. They have to be hand cut, so that they are not perfect. Ron says it makes all the difference. When they are done, I add some chopped turkey and he puts it over mashed potatoes. This is the way that both of his grandmothers filled up 6 hungry kids. Oh, and it has to be sprinkled with lots of black pepper.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Oh Good Lord, I'm not even hungry and this sounds so good, Maryann. I learned about the overnight stock method from an old C2Cer - "Pop" - remember him? Sounds like you had a nice relaxing (but of course, a little hectic) Thanksgiving!! Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Chicken Parm over spaghetti and a wedge salad.
Yes, I do remember Pop the Baker. Wish we had a way to be in contact with him now. He was so generous with his knowledge. I would send him an email asking him a question about baking bread and he would send me pages of information. Sure do miss him! I wonder if Dave Nelson or any of the other people from that forum are still in touch with him?

And yes, we did have a nice Thanksgiving, Jean. A whole lot different this year with both of my girls gone, but we will be doing a Thanksgiving dinner with them next weekend and I suspect some smoking might be happening if the weather isn't too bad.

We were a small group this year, but Ron's dad and sister, and my dad were all very happy to take home a bunch of l/os to enjoy for the next few days. The food saver is getting a workout this week. So nice to have some ready made meals in the freezer.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I'll have to remember that stock method next year.  We were coming back to the camper, and my kitchen here isn't prepared for cooking yet.  Ashley wasn't interested, and Jason doesn't like soup.  I know, weird!  So I mourned over two turkey carcasses going in the trash.

Ashley did hook us up with lots of leftovers, so we get to do it all again tonight.

And I had lots of emails with Pop also!  He helped me through my very first bread and beyond.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I know he is (or was) fairly close to me up here, because he was going to meet up with us when Ross (BOHICA) came out the first time. Can't remember why it didn't happen...... 

Speaking of Ross, he lost his beloved sister, Shelly a week or so ago. She's been fighting cancer for a couple of years. And, since he has left his job on the island, we may get him to move out here in our area. Shelly's daughter & family live in Portland ( I think), so he has made noise about being closer to them. But, he did buy a little house after he left the island, so who knows.
www.achefsjourney.com