Ideas for Chili

Can you tell I woke up at 4 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep - took time to read all my newsletters! Smile Smile  Smile  
Thought these ideas were worth passing on.

4 Simple Ways to Take Your Chili to the Next Level

Ideas from Cooking Light newsletter – 11/11/16

1. Cook Your Spices
Most chilis begin with sautéeing onions and garlic in a bit of oil. To get the most flavor out of your spices, like cumin or chili powder, add it to the oil while you're cooking the onions. This will toast the spices, bring the most out of their natural flavors and oils. 

2. Cinnamon Is Your Friend
While it may not be the first spice you lean towards when gathering chili ingredients, a dash of cinnamon can make a big difference. Adding a robust flavor and hint of earthiness, only a pinch is needed to make a difference in your final product.

3. Customize Your Chile Powder
Jarred chile powder is the spice equivalent of mystery meat. Who knows what's in that red powder? Instead of buying another jar, take your chili's flavor profile into your hands by hand-picking the chiles before blending. Hispanic markets typically have a large section dedicated solely to dried chiles. Mix-and-match which ones you use based on how spicy, smoky, or earthy you want your chile powder to be. The key to choosing a good dried chile is to make sure it's still pliable. In other words, it shouldn't crack when you fold them. If they do crack, then they're too dried out, which will result in flavorless powder. For chile powder that's fresher and cheaper than store-bought, use our guide to making your own homemade chile powder.

4. Make a Creamy Base
If you're a fan of white chili, then this simple trick will result in hearty, creamy chili every time. Start by cooking peppers, onions, and garlic in oil. Blend the vegetables with a drained can of white beans (such as cannellini beans) and a splash of vegetable broth to create a thick, rich base. This will prevent the chili from turning out soupy, and add flavor throughout the entire dish.
----------
My only contribution to these ideas is to check out the ingredients when you’re buying chili powder and make sure the only ingredient listed is ‘chili pepper’
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Ideas for Chili by cjs ([size=small]Can you ...)
Maybe you want to add, use fresh beans (your choice) and make them in the IP.
true
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
All good ideas. Fresh beans in the IP, yes! Great tip for creating a creamy base. I do that a lot now instead of a roux.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Adding masa  will add a corn flavor while thickening overall.  I like that flavor.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Yes, to the masa!!

Hey there, Mr. Bill - you solved your 'PM' problem. welcome to the messaging world. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
"PM Problem" has many definitions! Huh Tongue
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Yes, it do!!!!!  Big Grin
www.achefsjourney.com
Didn't this get derailed!  LOL!

Love these ideas!  I was hoping to make chili soon, if I can ever get back in the kitchen....maybe Sunday?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.