Dinner Thread 11/7/16 - 11/13/16
  Re: Dinner Thread 11/7/16 - 11/13/16 by cjs ([size=medium][b][u]M...)
Enjoy the evening Blane!

Well, I had a small poke bowl for lunch so I got that craving out of my system.  I'm just making homemade egg mcmuffins for dinner.  With a sliced tomato added to the sandwich and I might go hog wild and add a couple slices of avocado.
Tried a very interesting condiment recipe last night for our leftover fried cod sandwich. A pepper slaw – I almost went on by it as it looked  too far off the wall, even for me. I’m so glad I didn’t.  (Sharon, this one sounds right up your alley!  Wink
 Here’s the recipe –

For the slaw:
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs plus 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 Tbs hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 medium white onion, thinly sliced (I had a shallot)
1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced, seeds removed
1/2 medium poblano chile, thinly sliced, seeds removed

Here’s the rest of the recipe –
Fried Fish Sandwich with Pepper Slaw

[Image: Nov%209%20L.O.%20Fish%20Sandwich%20w%20p...oiul5a.jpg][/img]

I can’t speak to the recipes for the tartar or the method for the fish as I had leftover fried cod to use up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thursday's Dinner - 11/10/16??

What's on the menu for everyone today?

I have to check out the 'post its' on the cupboard door to see what has to be used next...... Tongue  Still working on leftovers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Having my dad over for dinner tonight. He loves beef but can't chew it well enough sometimes. So, doing an old-fashioned pot roast in the cast iron dutch oven with carrots, potatoes, onions, and parsnips. 18 hour bread to go with it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
And, he will be a happy man, I'm sure Maryann!!

And, speaking of Maryann - because of you I had a great addition to my leftover dinner today - scratch 2 more post its!!! Cool

Leftover Asian Dinner fiasco – Nov. 10th using pkgs. of Sweet & Sour chicken, Pork Fried Rice and an old container of Satay Sauce (8/13/15) from Maryann’s B’day  dinner  2015.  Wonderful flavors!!

Leftover Hint – IF you happen to have leftover Sweet & Sour Chicken and Fried Rice (just hold back at the restaurant and take some home!!): heat up and drizzle with a Satay sauce such as the one from Cuisine at Home’s recipe. The heat and savoryness of the Satay sauce cuts into the ‘sometimes’ overly sweetness of Sweet & Sour chicken/pork. Just a wonderful combination.

[Image: Nov%2010%20Swt%20Sour%20chix%20Pork%20fr...oivcwl.jpg][/img]

ASIAN PORK SATAYS WITH STICKY RICE - Cuisine Tonight (favorite weeknight menus)
Made the sauce as written (even using the called for amount of chili garlic sauce), then added peanut butter to the sauce and wow, is this good!! I froze a lot of the sauce in small amounts for later
1 jar Hoisin sauce -- (8 oz.)
1/2 cup chili garlic sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs sesame oil
Salt to taste

Simmer hoisin, chili garlic sauce, honey, vinegar, oil, and salt for the Satay in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, then cool.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wow, haven't had that recipe for a while and we love it! Great idea to freeze the sauce, Jean. What kind of containers do you use? I need to get some kind of little freezer containers for things like that.

BTW, did you add the peanut butter before freezing or after you thawed it?
Maryann

I added a little after I thawed it (I didn't remember adding it before) - but, then I found a note on your review dinner that I had added it for some leftovers before freezing. It's a good thing I didn't add much yesterday. Smile

I have a multitude of the small (6 oz.?) containers which I use for sauces.

Adding this savory spicy sauce really made the Sweet & Sour Chicken much more enjoyable. Usually I can only eat about 1 chunk and because it's so sweet, that's all I want.
www.achefsjourney.com
T.G.I.F. Dinner - 11/11/16??

What's on the menu for everyone today?

Still up in the air here.....
www.achefsjourney.com
Do you buy the 6 oz. containers in bulk? Or are they just the garden variety from a discount store?

Dinner tonight will be Bernadette's Seafood Alfredo with Penne, and some spinach on the side which seems to cut through the richness of the dish.

Spinach is one of my favorite vegetables and Ron has finally learned to love it although he puts a dab of oyster sauce on his. I like mine with just a hint of garlic and a bit of sriracha.
Maryann

just the little cheapo containers at Safeway or the $ store. Thawing them in the microwave ruins them quickly anyway, so I don't want to spend a lot on them.

darn it!! Leonard Cohen died and Everybody Knows is playing right now!!! I just love his voice and songs!!

I'm begetting more leftovers!! Tongue Making a So.western pulled pork soup with black beans and goodies.

I have that recipe for the Alfredo, I think.
www.achefsjourney.com