WTH!! Complete Failure

I've never baked in this 'wonderful' counter top convection oven AND believe me it will be a while before (or if I do) I try again.

The ribs for dinner were in the regular oven, so had to go with the convection one. And, look what I got. Filling overcooked completely and the crust not a brown spot on it!!! I have never had such a failure with a pie before in my life.

I'm really putting off even tasting it, but he want to - so, we'll see. Crap!

Have you ever seen an uglier pie??????????????? Blush Huh

Attached Files Image(s)

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: WTH!! Complete Failure by cjs (I've never baked in ...)
Uh oh...  Sad

My Mom says that ugly pies are delicious, so how did it taste???   I'm sorry that happened!

I have the same oven and I've baked bread (yeast and quick), brownies, a bundt cake, so many things in it, without issue.  But as I think about each pan that I've used in that oven comes to mind, one thing that is in common is that they are all dark, no glass or shiny (aluminum) materials-- so could your glass pan be the culprit?  The heat perhaps didn't conduct into the crust because of the glass pan?  That's really all I can think of...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
A little whip cream and you're good to go. Big Grin
I'm sorry, Jean!  Vicci's idea may be worth looking into.  And what she said...how did it taste?

Love the whipped cream suggestion, Vicci!  LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Well now, have you ever tasted caramelized pumpkin?? It's delicious!!  Confused  The silly pie, other than the texture being quite off, was really very tasty. I can't believe it. He usually chooses whip cream for this, but went with frozen yogurt this time.

Thanks for the tip Vicci - I'll make a note to not go with glass, if I do this again. That would explain why none of the casseroles I've done in that oven develops the nice bottom/side crusts that I so love. darn.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Well Jean, I'm glad that it wasn't a complete failure!  Mmmmmm, caramelized pumpkin!!!  Try dark metal baking dishes next time, that may be the trick.  Actually I'm glad that I saw this-- I rarely make pies but in the fall I will make one or two; my only pie dish is glass, so I guess that I will be buying a dark metal one.  

Wait, I had a dark brown ceramic pie dish at the farm but can't remember seeing it since we moved... wonder where it could be?   Huh
Vicci

my cooking adventures
I do know the dark pans work much better, but I sure have not cooked with convection much, yet!!

We're in the same boat - I keep asking, did I sell 'this' or is it here somewhere????
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: WTH!! Complete Failure by cjs (I do know the dark p...)
Well, I looked and did find my ceramic pie dish but then I found this... hey, it's less than $7...  Wink Added to the cart! I'm really glad that I don't have "prime".

https://smile.amazon.com/Granite-Ware-F0...ds=pie+pan
Vicci

my cooking adventures
Uh, what does Prime have to do with? I looked on amazon, but am I missing something?
www.achefsjourney.com
Should have been more clear-- if I had Prime, I would be ordering things every day.  At least having to order a minimum of $49 keeps me in check (which is why I just added it to my cart, another $20 and I'm good to order!).  It slows me don a little...  Wink
Vicci

my cooking adventures