Bread Ideas for 'RedBedHead'
Star    
Here's a couple of ideas for you, Red - maybe Maryann will post a few of her favorites also, she is a bread baker too.

Bread - Brioche Buns  - *****

These buttery brioche buns are delicious, and they make fabulous sandwiches. For guests or a special event, bake these great tasting sandwich bunsThey're perfect for burgers, barbecue, salads, or cold cuts.
The dough is quite soft, so mix and knead with a stand mixer and dough hook or bread machine on dough cycle

Note: I made these in 3-ounce portions and got 11 buns, but they could be made slightly smaller for a dozen or even larger.
Made these Nov. 8, 2015 - absolutely wonderful!!!

Sponge
2/3 cup milk, lukewarm, about 85° F
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3 1/4 ounces
3 Tbs sugar
--------
Dough
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 14 ounces
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs. lightly beaten
8 Tbs (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
Egg Wash
1 large egg
1 Tbs water

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the milk and yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the 3/4 cup of flour and the 3 tablespoons of sugar. With the paddle attachment, mix the sponge until you have a  smooth batter. Remove the beater, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let stand for about 30 minutes, until bubbles form across the top.

2. With the dough hook, mix in the 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons of flour, the salt, and the 4 beaten eggs.

3. Once the dough is formed, knead with the dough hook for about 4 minutes. Scrape the bowl down a few times. Add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time. Continue kneading, scraping the bowl from time to time, for about 5 minutes longer. The dough should be smooth and shiny.  Oil a large bowl.

5. Using a bowl scraper or spoon, scrape the dough into the oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.

6. Punch the dough down; fold over a few times. Again cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minutes.

7. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

8. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, shape into balls. Flour your palm and flatten the balls to make thick disks. Arrange the rolls on the parchment-lined pan. Cover with a lightweight kitchen towel and let them rest for 20 minutes.

9. Heat the oven to 400° F.

10. Sprinkle the tops of the buns with a little cornmeal, then gently turn them over so the cornmeal dusting is on the bottom.

11. Combine one large egg with one tablespoon of water; whisk to blend well. Brush the egg mixture gently over each roll. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds, if desired.

12. Bake for 7 minutes at 400° F. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F and bake for 10 to 12 minutes longer, until golden brown.

Yield: Makes 10 to 12 buns, about 3 ounces each.
Author: - Diana Rattray

[Image: Feb.%2010%20Brioche%20Slider%20buns_zpscieamgjg.jpg]

[/url]</span>
]
[url=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjdacook/Nov%208%20Brioche%20buns_zpsyzsjmv3u.jpg%5b/IMG%5d%5b/URL]]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bread Ideas for 'RedBedHead' by cjs (Here's a couple of i...)
Thank you so much!!!!  Big Grin
  Re: RE: Bread Ideas for 'RedBedHead' by redbedhead (Thank you so much!!!...)
Red, what type of bread do you like to make?  Do you mind if there are several steps involved or do you prefer quick and easy?  For quick and easy, nothing beats the 18 hour no-knead recipe.  If you don't mind some extra steps, Peter Reinhart has wonderful books.

Here is a fun recipe that I think Jean gave to me. Super easy and great for last minute baking.

Macaroni Grill Bread

1 cup water
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select white bread cycle; press Start.

OR: Use bread machine ‘dough’ setting and take out of machine. Place on corn meal coated baking sheet, score top and oil slightly. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 350 for 30 minutes. Brush with egg white wash and cook for another 5 minutes. 

This is my preferred method.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Love Macaroni Grill bread!!!

I apologize for being distracted, but Roy is really having a bad time with his leg....excruciating pain. Dr. 3 times this week and hospital for X-rays. The pain medication wasn't working at all, so Dr. upscaled to more powerful one today. Fingers crossed. 

this will tell you how healthy we normally are - he's been putting heat on the knee and found out this a.m. he should have been using ice pack. Geez, neither of us knew that. Tongue  So ice pack is in the freezer as we speak. Anyway, TMI I'm sure, but that's why I'm not paying too close attention to the internet.  Maryann, I should have Heather on speed dial.

Red, between Maryann and me - we have lots of great bread ideas for  you. Wink
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Bread Ideas for 'RedBedHead' by cjs (Love Macaroni Grill ...)
Yes, we do!  As soon as I'm not so distracted by company, I will look for some more fun recipes that we like.

I feel so bad for Roy!  Has he ever had that problem before?  Sure hope he gets relief soon!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Dr. says it's an old college injury coming back to haunt him.
www.achefsjourney.com