King Bolete Mushrooms
  Re: (...)
King Bolete Mushrooms - O.K., my project for the week is - Our produce lady sent Roy home with a beautiful King Bolet(t)e mushroom and I’m trying to do something with it. After googling for a while I’m going to do a quick sauté of the stems as ‘coins’ and I guess the cap as slices, and add to butter/olive oil mixture. Allow to brown quickly and serve over rice. I’m not trying to do an entire dish, I just want to taste the mushroom and be able to tell the produce gal about it.

After conferring with my wonderful creative ‘cheffie’ friends, the above was the consensus of the way to go – but, to also soak the mushroom ‘coins’ and caps in boiling water (I think to rid them of the sliminess inherent in these particular mushrooms). I sautéed in a mix of butter and a little olive oil which I sprinkled with just a tad of garlic powder. Sautéed them until golden brown on both sides, then plated with rice and a demi-glace.

While the stems were definitely a little tougher, they were much more flavorful than the sliced caps. Also, I forgot to ask the ‘creative ones’ if I should discard the gills on the mushrooms….I didn’t and they gave off a very creamy (just slightly offensive texture) but didn’t detract from the cap flavor – I think they helped, in fact. Now, if all this makes sense, my conclusion on these is….I don’t know what the price of these are, but I’m thinking I’m not impressed enough to pay a goodly price for them.

But, I can’t thank our produce gal enough – what a fun project and I love testing things like this.

[Image: Sept%2020%20King%20Bolete%20Mushrooms%20...mysis6.jpg]

[Image: Sept%2020%20King%20Bolete%20Mushrooms%20...ijwszn.jpg]

[Image: Sept%2020%20King%20Bolete%20Mushroom%20d...sthi2p.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: King Bolete Mushrooms by cjs (King Bolete Mushroom...)
I've never heard of that type of mushroom. It's amazing how much food that people in other parts of the world use regularly that I know nothing about. I guess that's why I keep looking for new ideas!
  Re: Re: King Bolete Mushrooms by karyn (I've never heard of ...)
I doubt I'll ever run across these, but I'm glad to know what they are like. Well done, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: King Bolete Mushrooms by Gourmet_Mom (I doubt I'll ever ru...)
thanks - it was a fun research/cooking day
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: King Bolete Mushrooms by cjs (thanks - it was a fu...)
Wow Jean!! How did they taste?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: King Bolete Mushrooms by BarbaraS (Wow Jean!! How did ...)
They sure do look delicious the way you cooked and presented them.

I'm really glad you posted this because I would never know to soak mushrooms for any length of time or that the stems might be tougher. I see many varieties of mushrooms at the produce market, but am never sure what to do with them.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: King Bolete Mushrooms by Mare749 (They sure do look de...)
me either, Maryann
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: King Bolete Mushrooms by cjs (thanks - it was a fu...)
God, I'm glad they weren't that good! It would just be one more thing I couldn't get down here!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: King Bolete Mushrooms by Old Bay (God, I'm glad they w...)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: King Bolete Mushrooms by cjs (King Bolete Mushroom...)
It's the perfect time of year here. We took a short golf cart ride yesterday and scored 2 1/2 lbs of gorgeous mushrooms. Bob can't eat today (colonoscopy tomorrow) so tomorrow the pork cheeks go in the sous vide in the am before we leave and I'll play with the mushrooms to go with.

We have a golfer that is a mycologist - he showed us what mushrooms on the course are edible an told me where to go find morels. I love my job!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!