Making Wine vs. Beer
  Re: (...)
I am thinking about trying to make wine or beer this winter. Just for fun. Of course we like both.

Has anyone ever done both of these? Which did you like doing better?

Just curious
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Making Wine vs. Beer by luvnit (I am thinking about ...)
You know Roy Richard is going to call you.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Wine vs. Beer by cjs (You know Roy Richard...)
Bob sat and de-stemmed 18 quarts of grapes this afternoon. We've still got about that same amount X 2! Not sure how much wine it's going to make . . . but we're goin' for it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Making Wine vs. Beer by Harborwitch (Bob sat and de-stemm...)
Roy is anxious to talk to you and Bob, also, Sharon. He's just terrible on the computer, so he'll probably call you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Wine vs. Beer by cjs (Roy is anxious to ta...)
Really nice chat with Roy. Super informative! 'refractometer' is now in my vocabulary :-)

Sharon, I am really looking forward to hearing how things go. I hope you post pics on facebook! This all sounds like fun!!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Making Wine vs. Beer by luvnit (Really nice chat wit...)
I did a paper when I was in school, "A Year in the Life of a Vineyard and Winery," that I'm copying this a.m. (Roy wanted you to have it) and sending on to you and Sharon which will expand your knowledge a little.

You'll both have fun with this project.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Wine vs. Beer by cjs (I did a paper when I...)
Jean we got the book and love it. Bob has has 12 gallons of grapes in the walk in. We probably have a ton more to pick.

They are de-stemmed, Bob is wondering - do we wash them or just crush they way they are? They don't have any sprays on them and he thinks he got all the bugs off.

I'd have responded earlier but we have been working way more than we wanted to lately and time is just flying by. I'm looking forward to winter . . . and a lot fewer hours!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!