Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I found a huge crookneck in the garden yesterday, so think I'll stuff it with some of my leftovers of something.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I have the kiddos today and Alyssa wants to make gnocchi, so we're making a double batch so we can freeze some. We will make a nice vegetable sauce to toss it with. It's really not as heavy as it sounds. The gnocchi are lighter when homemade vs. store bought. This is the sauce for 4 servings.

Gnocchi di Patate con Salsiccia e Sugo di Verdure

½ cup (120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¼-inch (6-mm)
dice
• 8 Roma tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
• 4 fresh basil leaves
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16?? by Mare749 (I have the kiddos to...)
Oh, what a fun day and a tasty one to boot!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16?? by cjs (Oh, what a fun day a...)
So far, Tommy is my helper this morning. He has participated in every step from cooking the potatoes in the instant pot to making the dough. Now, he is cutting it, then the pans go into the freezer for 30 minutes before bagging so that the gnocchi don't stick together.

(I know they aren't all the same size. That's okay, they will still taste good.)

[Image: IMG_0151_zpswulhwvd9.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0154_zps8895ukly.jpg]
Maryann

Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16?? by Mare749 (So far, Tommy is my ...)
Wow, they look wonderful!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16?? by cjs (Wow, they look wonde...)
Thanks, Jean. Kind of amazing that he likes to work in the kitchen more than his sister does. He's incredibly helpful for only being 7.
Maryann

Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16?? by Mare749 (Thanks, Jean. Kind o...)
What a trooper!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16?? by BarbaraS (What a trooper!! [b...)
Those gnocchi look wonderful! The only time I mad and froze them, they totally disintegrated when I tried to cook them. I'd love to know what you to to prevent that.

Tonight's dinner was grilled chicken and veggies with an avocado, lime, and Greek yogurt sauce. It was yummy!
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16?? by karyn (Those gnocchi look w...)
Two things. First of all, I don't make them with ricotta any more because they are too delicate. So, use riced potatoes instead, one egg, 1/4 cup grated parmesan, and flour, enough to form a dough that is workable and only slightly sticky.

Secondly, if I cook the gnocchi immediately, it only needs about 30 seconds in simmering water until it floats. But, since I usually freeze it, then it's more like 2 minutes. Any more than that, and they fall apart.

Hope this helps. I have trouble with the spinach gnocchi falling apart. Haven't worked it out yet.
Maryann

Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 8/17/16?? by Mare749 (Two things. First of...)
darn, if you can make my Lefse, I should be able to make your Gnocchi!!!

Keeping your notes
www.achefsjourney.com