Pickled Beets Anyone?
  Re: (...)
These beets are wonderful, if I do say so myself. I've shared them with family and friends and they beg for more...but I'm stingy

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pickled Beets

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fruits-Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 quarts small beets quartered
6 cups cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
4 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups sugar
2 tablespoons allspice
2 3 inch cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon hot horseradish per pint jar

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Put beets in prepared pint jars and pour hot mixture over, leaving ¼ - ½ inch head space.

Be sure to add the ¼ tsp hot horseradish to each jar.

Place hot jars on a towel to cool and seal. If jars do not seal, refrigerate and use promptly.

Source:
"Adapted from recipe by Earl Vasterling, neighbor"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pickled Beets Anyone? by bjcotton (These beets are wond...)
I love pickled beets, Billy and make them every year. Will compare this one to mine. Thanks!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets Anyone? by Lorraine (I love pickled beets...)
I'm a beet fan also - pickled or no!! Haven't made them for years -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets Anyone? by cjs (I'm a beet fan also ...)
What's your favorite way to fix them if they're not pickled?
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets Anyone? by Bizymomma (What's your favorite...)
I had always disliked beets, pickled or otherwise, until I tasted my neighbors. I liked them so well I pickled my own and used balsamic vinegar in about half of them...yum, yum! I'm still working on eating them any other way, along with turnips and rutabagas.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets Anyone? by bjcotton (I had always dislike...)
Everyone already probbly knows this, but just so you don't forget. Put some hard boiled eggs in the pickled beet juice when you're done eating the beets. In a day or so, you'll have tasty pink eggs that look so cool on lettuce bed.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets Anyone? by farnfam (Everyone already pro...)
Jean dear, I forgot to tell you, but let me know when you're coming through. I'll have a couple of jars of pickled beets ready for you; also, the Tres Leches Cake if I have enough notice.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets Anyone? by farnfam (Everyone already pro...)
Nope, everyone didn't already know this! I was going to ask how to pickle eggs too, but I guess that's how, right?
Tammy
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets Anyone? by TwilightKitten (Nope, everyone didn'...)
I love beetroot. Pickled or roasted, grated for salsa, or put thru one of those things that make long long strings of things. Really good raw grated or stringed. Nice to make bows out of a few strings, for garnish, make a bow of various colours and tie a bow around a fish, Looks so pretty. Your recipe is better than mine Billy so is saved. Thank you. I have always cooked them, put them thru an egg slicer, used a medium of one cup of malt vinegar, one cup of sugar and one cup of cooking liquid. It is very simple as you see, and we have liked it thru the years, but when I do it next time I will use your recipe. I don't peel, but do chop off fore and aft. I don't worry about the beet bleeding, it may looke whitish in the jar, but recovers its colour within the time it takes one to stagger off to bed after washing all the sealed jars. By morning you have gleaming jars all lined up, dark delicious red. I always think it is a mysterious colour. Hiding the secrets of our good earth. A really nice salad is pickled beetroot, cut tomatoes, and sliced red onion rings. Chuck in a bit of vinegrette, needs very little, and turn over a bit.
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets Anyone? by TwilightKitten (Nope, everyone didn'...)
Want some pickled egg recipes Tammy? I think I've got one or two

Vannin, we blanched 'em and the skins came right off.

Billy