Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?>

You knew it was coming - mashed potato pizza. Not sure yet what all it will be.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
You're going to have to take pics of that Jean!!

We're having a couple rib-eyes with corn and I'm making a half recipe of Pineapple Crisp for dessert.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16?? by BarbaraS (You're going to have...)
I think Tony is making a morphed brasciole with an Anne Burrell recipe and a Mario Batali recipe. Served with spaghetti.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16?? by Trixxee (I think Tony is maki...)
Mashed potato pizza sounds interesting, especially with carmelized onions, bacon bits, maybe some cheddar....what are you planning?

Braciole sounds even better. Haven't made it for a little while, but we do love it. I think the recipe I used was either Giada's or from Deborah Mele's website, http://www.italianfoodforever.com/.

We are leaving shortly to go out to Geneva-on-the-lake to see Heather and family. Son-in-law, James got up at 3 a.m. to start smoking a pork butt that will be dinner tonight. We finally got a nice break from the heat, so looking forward to a fun day.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16?? by Mare749 (Mashed potato pizza ...)
Maryann's mashed potato pancakes sounds like pirogi (which means delicious)!! I hope you enjoy yours, Jean.

I've never made braciole...maybe it will go on the short list when the weather cools. It sounds pretty heavy for a 95 degree day, y'know?

Enjoy your trip to Geneva-on-the-lake, Maryann. It sounds fun!

We're doing the review dinner tonight. I'm looking forward to it.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16?? by karyn (Maryann's mashed pot...)
good sounding food and fun weekend for most of us.

bacon - yes, pesto - yes, and ????? going to look now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Quote:

What's on the menu for today?>

You knew it was coming - mashed potato pizza. Not sure yet what all it will be.....

Make it into Lefsizza!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hmmm, another idea for all these potatoes!! Forgot about that one, Labs.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16?? by cjs (Hmmm, another idea f...)
Well, Photobucket will not let me post pictures anymore....WTF!! But, I do have it on my facebook page...if anyone wants to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/jean.s.denham?sk=wall

Mashed Potato Pizza with Pesto and Bacon
Warm potatoes if necessary to combine with pesto – set aside.
Chop bacon and fry until crisp– remove from skillet, but keep the bacon fat.
Add the potato/pesto mixture to the skillet and warm through incorporating the bacon flavor into the potatoes; remove and set aside.

On the pizza dough round, layer:
Potato/pesto mixture
Cheese: Mozzarella & Fontina
Bacon pieces
Crumbled feta cheese
Mix together (to make easier to sprinkle) minced onion and minced candied jalapenos
Sprinkled with toasted pepitas (I can’t stay out of these buggers!!)
Drizzle with olive oil

While the flavor was great, I think I want a little more of some kind of flavor – the bites with candied jalapeno left me wanting more of the slight sweetness….maybe minced dried figs, mango, hmmmmm. Worth working on, though.

Well Piddle - problem solved!! Scottie - (Morris Fenton) posted this, "Morris Fenton I totally just read this, and then it pops up with my name in it ..... Reduced balsamic drizzle and some torn basil."

Exactly what it's wanting.

------------
Temperamental darn website!!
[Image: aug%206%20008_zps9hcq2wni.jpg]
[Image: aug%206%20009_zpszllkom4t.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/6/16?? by Mare749 (Mashed potato pizza ...)
Maryann Bob has lots of memories of Geneva on the Lake!

Hmm, Jean mashed potato pizza sounds really good.

Bob is cooking dinner tonight. Grilled burgers with cheese, heirloom tomato and all the condiments. We went to the Farmers' market this morning and got some beautiful organic Yukon Golds and red potatoes that Bob is going to spiralize (1 each) and we'll deep fry. along with some purple kohlrabi. I'm looking forward to a great dinner.

I'm so impressed with the number of organic and non-GMO farmers in our area. We had a lovely conversation with a Mexican American family with awesome tomatillos today. The wife sews beautiful clothing for sale and he has 3 acres in organic veggies. We're looking forward to peppers in two weeks.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!