OT: Mimosa is sick
  Re: (...)
Mimosa has always had a habit of eating fine some days then not eating for a couple of days. When she would do this, we would give her some treats (not much - just enough to have something to keep her stomach from getting upset) and maybe a little milk or some string cheese.

Last week was one of those times, but after a couple days of accepting these things, there was a night where she seemed not to be feeling well and didn't even want her nightly Dentastix (which she always looked forward to getting).

At the vet, I went ahead with getting blood work done and it showed that she's having kidney problems.

Right now, we're giving her a special "renal-support" food and mashing it up with some water to put it directly into her mouth with a syringe until she feels well enough to start eating from her bowl again.

Now that she's getting some food into her, she seems to be feeling somewhat better, but we're going to have to keep an eye on her kidney function to make sure it doesn't become (or isn't already) something severe.

Please keep her and us in your prayers.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: OT: Mimosa is sick by labradors (Mimosa has always ha...)
Oh Labs, what sad news. Poor little thing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa is sick by cjs (Oh Labs, what sad ne...)
Oh no. I hope Mimosa is feeling better soon.
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa is sick by Trixxee (Oh no. I hope Mimos...)
I am so sorry that Mimosa isn't feeling well. That reminds me of the way Charlie eats. One day, he will empty the bowl in a matter of minutes. Then, for the next 2 days, he only eats about half. I think it might have something to do with the fact that he was kind of a hobo as a puppy and didn't have regular meals.

Does your vet feel that Mimosa can live comfortably for a while on the special food? Is there any medicine for that condition?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: OT: Mimosa is sick by labradors (Mimosa has always ha...)
Oh I am so sorry Labs. It is always so hard when our Furchildren are sick . . . they can't tell us what hurts. Our Opie is the same way, he's ravenous for a few days and then just nibbles for a day or two.

We'll certainly be keeping Mimosa in our thoughts and prayers. I hope she's feeling better soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa is sick by Harborwitch (Oh I am so sorry Lab...)
Oh no, Labs! I am so sorry. I hope Mimosa recovers really quickly!!
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa is sick by karyn (Oh no, Labs! I am so...)
Oh no! I hope she recovers quickly! You will both be in my prayers!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa is sick by Gourmet_Mom (Oh no! I hope she r...)
Just wondering . . . how is Mimosa?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa is sick by Harborwitch (Just wondering . . ....)
I've been wondering the same thing...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa is sick by Mare749 (I've been wondering ...)
Thanks, everyone.

She seems to be feeling better, though not 100%. Still not eating the canned food from her bowl (she has always been picky and this is a different food, since it's meant for renal support), but she has eaten some of dry food.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?