New pizza making "toy"????
  Re: (...)
I was flipping through Jack's Kiplinger's magazine and came across an article about two guys who developed a kit to turn a kettle-style charcoal grill into a pizza oven. Well, it's available on Amazon and I am seriously considering it! Has anyone here heard anything about it? Seems to get good ratings...

https://smile.amazon.com/KettlePizza-Piz...+pizza+oven+kit
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: New pizza making "toy"???? by foodfiend (I was flipping throu...)
Laura & Brad have one of these and made pizza in it when we were there - it works great! Almost bought a Weber just to get this addition
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New pizza making "toy"???? by cjs (Laura & Brad have on...)
Great to know that it works well (I do read the online reviews and mostly everyone raves about it, but it's always good to have the input of a "real" person!). I just can't believe that this has been out for 5-6 years and I haven't heard about it! We bought a Weber charcoal grill when we moved into the new house, and I'm still getting used to it. I miss the convenience of my old gas grill, but on the other hand, love the taste of charcoal grilled foods...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: New pizza making "toy"???? by foodfiend (Great to know that i...)
Vicci, we feel the same way. Almost never use the gas grill any more. Ron likes to buy the hardwood "lumps" instead of briquets. They are a little bit more expensive, but can be re-used. When he's finished cooking, he just puts them in a bucket of water briefly, then sets them out to dry or uses them for smoking.

The pizza insert looks like a fabulous addition to the Weber, if you already own one. We don't and probably won't buy one any time soon, so for now, we just put the pizza right on the grill and it turns out well that way too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: New pizza making "toy"???? by Mare749 (Vicci, we feel the s...)
Quote:

Vicci, we feel the same way. Almost never use the gas grill any more. Ron likes to buy the hardwood "lumps" instead of briquets. They are a little bit more expensive, but can be re-used. When he's finished cooking, he just puts them in a bucket of water briefly, then sets them out to dry or uses them for smoking.

Maryann, I've never heard of this and am intrigued. Do you have a brand name, or do I google "hardwood lumps"?!?!?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: New pizza making "toy"???? by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
For those of us with gas grills, I just saw a rectangular pizza box for your gas grill at Sam's Club just the other day.

Vicci, if I remember tomorrow, I'll do a search. When Laura first got hers, she posted a lot of pictures on here using her Weber insert.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New pizza making "toy"???? by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Vicci, right now we have Royal Oak and Stubbs. There are others, but usually we just look for whatever we can get on sale for a decent price. You can usually find it at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, places like that, but we have even seen it in wholesale clubs occasionally. You can buy hardwood briquets also, if you prefer.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: New pizza making "toy"???? by Gourmet_Mom (For those of us with...)
We have one of those Daphne and love it. I just wish our grill worked a little better than it does (needs a burner replaced). It makes great pizza in just a few minutes. We also used it for something else - but can't remember what right now. The $100 price tag is attractive too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: New pizza making "toy"???? by Harborwitch (We have one of those...)
I'm ordering this baby today! Found it on Hayneedle at almost the same price as Amazon, but had a 10% off coupon so that's the winner. Next week at this time...

Thanks for the info, Maryann, we have all 3 of the stores you named within 10 minutes so I should be able to find those easily.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: New pizza making "toy"???? by foodfiend (I'm ordering this ba...)
Good to know it works well, Sharon!

Have fun, Vicci!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.