Asparagus
  Re: (...)
My first spears of Asparagus are coming up in the garden. I can't wait for enough to make a serving of this side dish. It is yummy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ceasar Asparagus

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 pound asparagus spears -- trimmed
1 cup Whole Wheat bread -- cubed
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese -- grated
Dressing
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons PARMesan cheese -- Grated
1 Teaspoon GARLic -- MINced
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon splenda
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper

Preaheat oven to 425

Toss the aspagagus and bread cubes with 2 tbsp olive oil. Roast 5 to 15
minutes depending on size.

Combine ingredients for dressing and drizzle over roasted asparagus and
bread.

Garnish with remaining 2 tbsp parmesan cheese.

Source:
"Cusine at Home Smart Carb Cooking"
Yield:
"3 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1470 Calories; 98g Fat (57.1%
calories from fat); 37g Protein; 128g Carbohydrate; 22g Dietary Fiber;
16mg Cholesterol; 1712mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat;
2 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 18 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : **Can use sugar instead of Splenda

** I like to make my own crutons with a crusty bread like
pugilese, olive oil and garlic powder toasted in the oven
and add these with the dressing instead of the whole wheat
cubes while roasting. I didn't think the whole wheat
bread got crusty enough for us.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Asparagus by esgunn (My first spears of A...)
How long have you had your asparagus planted before it has produced anything? I thought it took a couple of years for good asp. to grow.....
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Asparagus by Bizymomma (How long have you ha...)
Most of the plants have been in for over 6 years. Before we moved in, but I know they are less than 10 years. I added 6 new plants this year (They are 2 year roots). I won't pick any this year, and only a few next year. You are not supposed to pick anything smaller than a pencil. The plants we do have never spread really good. So it takes a few days to get enough to eat - that and my daughter loves to pick them and eat them right out of the garden.

Erin
Erin
The time is flying by.
This is a great recipe---I make often. I use rye bread--just cuz we like it. Wish I had the proper soil to grow proper veggies---SOMEDAY!!

What is splenda???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
sounds really good, Erin!! Love asparagus and can always use another good idea for it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Asparagus by cjs (sounds really good, ...)
Not to put too fine a point on it Erin, I am sick with envy you have asparagus growing. Pea green with jealousy, overtaken by impotent rage, all that sort of thing. Now my question. We took our Sus off to dine in the most expensive restaurant in our city when she had been with us for 10 years. Celebration y'see. I had crayfish to start, she was content with the particularly nice bread they served. Shane had a seafood chowder. Ihad the schnapper for main, Shane had a steak that was trying to flee to safety, it was superb. Sus opted for the whitebait for a main. The whitebait was served as I have never seen it served. (Jean, where are you). It was in a light, almost watery sauce. I could have picked one up all by itself. We were startled, it was evidently a pleasure to taste. Just as well. I don't care for it myself. The waiter chose the wines, but it was the side plates I meant to talk about.

We all had the same of course. Scolloped potatoes, which we make much better ourselves, and four fat beautiful asparagus. They were beautiful enough, but when we tasted them they were infused with lemon. Light, just enough. Now I have tried this myself since. I have steamed them in lemon flavoured water, pure lemon juice, a light spray of lemon after they are cooked. But I cannot get it the way they did. There was no sauce, nothing external. Just that flavour. How do I do that good people?
  Re: Re: Asparagus by vannin (Not to put too fine ...)
Wish I could help, Vannin. You could always try a really loose lemon hollandaise, not the same, but still good. Or keep the memory in the back of your mind and make a tomato mayonnaise. Get a short squat glass, and stand the barely steamed asparagus up in the mayo. Great looking edible centrepiece.

I planted 3 year old stock, and waited another year before harvesting any. Unfortunately, last year they never came up.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Erin,
Did you look at the calories per serving? 1470! I can't imagine that there are 1470 calories in the entire recipe. Sometimes you wonder where they get these crazy numbers. I guess if something is delicious, it's got to be high in calories.
  Re: Re: Asparagus by OldVirginia (Erin,[br]Did you loo...)
And BTW, thanks for posting this does look delicious.

Vicki
  Re: Re: Asparagus by OldVirginia (And BTW, thanks for ...)
I think that was a misake on my part on how I input it into mastercook. It says it makes 3 cups total and a serving is 1/2 cup - I would probably eat half of the dish myself though!

But per 1/2 cup serving it is 193 calories, 9g carbs,2g fiber, 16g fat. Not high cal - but not low fat! But yummy!

I am still learning mastercook and how to finess it. By the way - that is if it is made with Splenda. Slightly higher carbs and calories with sugar.

Roxanne - I think you are the one who asked - splenda is a sugar substitue. Kind of like sweet n low - but not asparteme.

Vanin - what about a compound lemon butter?
Erin
Erin
The time is flying by.