Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

I have Cod thawing, that's as far as I've gotten.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Freezer diving...I have so much to do in the yard today that I wanted easy. We're having the Mongolian BBQ from C@H 46. I have the teriyaki steak and sauce in the freezer, so all i have to do is cook the noodles and make the stir-fry.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16?? by karyn (Freezer diving...I h...)
I'm still undecided but I do know that I have some miscellaneous ingredients to use up - mushrooms, mini peppers, proscuitto, gruyere. So a frittata or a scramble might be in order. Might pick up some fresh "everything" bagels from the bagel store to go with or just make hashbrowns.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16?? by Trixxee (I'm still undecided ...)
I'm finally making the huevos rancheros.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16?? by losblanos1 (I'm finally making t...)
Decided to keep the cod for tomorrow and freezer dive today. I'm making a huge pot of Bolognese/marinara/gravy/clean the fridge sauce today
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16?? by cjs (Decided to keep the ...)
I'm having leftovers, but the focus tonight is the chicken salad. And I remembered what makes it special for me when I went to the grocery store....RITZ CRACKERS!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm having leftovers...)
What do you do with the Ritz crackers, Daphne? In the chicken salad or do you put the salad on the crackers?

We are having Korean Beef Bulgogi tonight. One of our favorite summertime meals. "Fancied up" rice on the side, and some spinach. Watermelon for dessert.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16?? by Mare749 (What do you do with ...)
Yes, come clean Daphne
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16?? by cjs (Yes, come clean Daph...)
Maryann, I love having just plain chicken salad on a bed of lettuce, but I HAVE to have the crackers, too. There is just something about that salty crunchy cracker piled high with the sweet creamy chicken salad. YUM!!!!

I have been eying the watermelons at the store, but the price is so high and the quality is so uncertain. So I'm going to wait until I can pick one up at a roadside stand. Now forgive the ramble down memory lane. Feel free to scroll past. LOL!

My grandfather had a large farm, and I spent a lot of my early childhood there, especially during the summer since my mom worked. He used his land to grow corn, soybeans, and cotton. He did have a small vegetable garden to supply his table and that of his six children's families that cared to come gather for theirs.

But one thing he didn't always grow was watermelons. That's because his brother used his large farm next door to grow produce. And two of my favorites were his strawberries and watermelons. It was so funny, I always had such a hard time putting the juicier looking strawberries in my basket! I usually ate more than I took home! LOL!

To show how large of a scale he grew produce, I'll relate a near tragedy involving watermelons. Picture a farm truck the size of a dump truck but with wood slats for sides. Then imagine that truck filled to the very top with watermelons. Four cousins were sitting on top on the way back from the field where they had been gathering the melons. One of the boys fell off! He was almost killed, but luckily, he came through. It was a miracle, for sure.

Funny how just the mention of watermelon could conjure so many memories. And to think how I took all that free food for granted all those years. My grandfather gave up the large scale planting, as well as the cows and pigs, after his stroke when I was 16, but he made sure his farm hand, Al, kept the family garden going until his death when I was in my late twenties.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 6/9/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, I love havi...)
"Funny how just the mention of watermelon could conjure so many memories. And to think how I took all that free food for granted all those years."

Oh, Daphne, I can so relate to your upbringing - mine was so similar. Yakima is high desert, so everything grew and my grandparents on both sides grew everything under the sun plus one set who lived on the Columbia river and had a smoke house and an ice house - used for year round goodies.

I wish I had been older in those days to really appreciate it as I would now. I'm sure you feel the same way. We were so lucky with our 'upbringing'

And, to carry on with this theme - after 50 years (literally!!) of making this chili - Deva's Chili (my Great Aunt), I finally have a worthy picture to put with the recipe. We had it today and with the little leftovers I'll either make a pasta/chili frittata or ??????????????
[Image: Jun%209%20Devas%20Chili_zpsnqwoisjx.jpg]
(can you tell I feel the same way about Ritz Crackers - they belong with so many of the foods I grew up with!!)

www.achefsjourney.com