Instant Pot Recipes - I
  Re: Instant Pot Recipes - I by Mare749 (So, it seems that I ...)
Eggs" my favorite thing to do!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
This is what I do to make soup stock. I keep two gallon size freezer bags in the freezer, one for chicken bones and one for beef/pork bones. When the bag is full, I dump it in the Instant Pot with an onion, some celery and carrots, a pinch of salt and peppercorns, and a bay leaf. Fill with water up to the Max line. Press the Manual button and set for 30 minutes using high pressure. Make sure the valve is closed.

It takes about 20 minutes to come up to pressure. When the 30 minute cooking time is done and the IP has gone to "keep warm" mode, I unplug and ignore it until the pressure is released naturally, maybe another 20 minutes. I fish out the bones and vegetables, then pour through a fine mesh strainer into another pot. In cold weather, I put that pot in the "cold room" off my kitchen to cool down, then into the basement fridge overnight. The next day, I lift off the layer of fat and put the broth into quart size freezer containers. It's like spooning up jello.

I realize that the total time in the IP is 70 minutes, but I think it's easy and the resulting broth is very rich, so this is now my preferred method. I always have bone broth in the freezer because the family saves bones for me.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
That's one thing I miss is my larger freezing unit at home.  While my fridge is much larger than you would expect to find on a trailer the size we have, it's not nearly large enough to store bones.  But I can imagine how rich the broth would be doing it in the IP.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Thanks Maryann - I do what you do sans the IP - I will give this a try!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, I was pretty sure that is how you make your stock. The only reason I elaborated was for the benefit of "anons" who might be looking for a method. Wink (Sure wish they would stop in and say hello!)

I think what is attractive to me about using the IP for stock is that I can forget about it for a while and not have to watch it, much like using a crockpot. Since I'm in and out every day, sometimes more than once, it's just a convenience for me.
Maryann

Well, I thought all was good, but I don't know where I went wrong! I followed your (Maryann) instructions -  "This is what I do to make soup stock. I keep two gallon size freezer bags in the freezer, one for chicken bones and one for beef/pork bones. When the bag is full, I dump it in the Instant Pot with an onion, some celery and carrots, a pinch of salt and peppercorns, and a bay leaf. Fill with water up to the Max line. Press the Manual button and set for 30 minutes using high pressure. Make sure the valve is closed.

It takes about 20 minutes to come up to pressure."
----------------
After 25 min. it still didn't signify it had gotten up to pressure, so I left it alone. About 15-25 min. later this popped up in the 'window' -
[Image: mar%2019%20004_zpswo1m4ik7.jpg]

So, I unplugged it and let it set for maybe 25 min and turned the valve open. It still have a lot of pressure to release, so left it for another ~15 min. and took the lid off. This is my stock - just flavored water! Angry
[Image: mar%2019%20005_zpstzi6ho8i.jpg]

So, I don't know what the hell happened, but my stock is now braising in my oven for an hour or so to get some flavor infused. Not a happy camper, I'll tell you!

One thing that bothered me is I filled the inner pot for the max line after adding all my goodies, but I didn't notice that the at this height  the 'anti-block shield' (inside the lid) would probably be submerged.  Would/could this be the problem?
www.achefsjourney.com
It may be the angle of the picture, but it looks too full to me.  But I'd wait and see what Maryann says.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
It may be, but you can just see the 'Max' line at the tope. I just didn't take into consideration the "anti-block shield" would be submerged. Piddle.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh, no! I have no idea what could be wrong, Jean. Huh It could be that it was too full like you said? I'm sorry for not mentioning that I only fill to about an inch from the MAX line just to be extra careful. Maybe that makes a difference?

I feel so bad for you that this didn't work out because you really do get a rich bone broth this way. Would you want to remove a cup or two of broth and try it again?
Maryann

No! I finished it off in the oven yesterday and have 4 1/2 qts. beautiful stock.

I just hope I didn't screw up that thingee that sticks down from the lid. Sad

thanks MaryAnn.
www.achefsjourney.com