Instant Pot Recipes - I
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Mare749 (I started this recip...)
Does sound so good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by cjs (Does sound so good!!...)
YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (YUM!...)
So, since I'm home today for the first time all week, I decided to cook. It's in the 90's, so I'm staying inside anyway.

We are going to have family dinner on Sunday, so decided to try this recipe, which is very similar to what my mom used to make, except hers took hours. This really was quite simple and easy. Best part is that it did not heat up the kitchen!

The only thing that I will change is the meatballs, preferring to use my own recipe. The pasta is going to be more of a side dish than the main feature as Ron will be grilling chicken breasts and eggplant and I will make a tossed green salad and garlic bread,

Sunday Gravy

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
1 1/2 pounds country-style pork ribs (bone-in or boneless-either is fine
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3 cups chopped yellow onions (about 2 large onions)
3 T. tomato paste
3 T. minced garlic
3/4 cup dry red wine
2 28 oz. cans whole Italian-style tomatoes, crushed with your hands, with juices
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 bay leaves
3 T. coarsely chopped oregano leaves
1 1/4 pounds fresh sweet Italian sausage, in bulk or removed from casings, formed into 1 1/2-inch meatballs
Hot cooked pasta, for serving
Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, for serving

Set a pressure cooker to the "browning" program and heat the olive oil. Season the chuck roast and pork ribs on all sides with 3 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. black pepper. Working in batches, cook the meat until browned on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes per batch. As it is browned, transfer to a plate and set aside.

Add the onion to the pressure cooker and cook until it is very soft, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Ad the red wine and let it simmer for 2 minutes. Then return the browned meats to the pressure cooker and add the tomatoes and their juices, then the remaining 1 tsp. salt, remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper, the crushed red pepper, bay leaves, and 1 T.of the oregano. Close and lock the lid, and set to "high pressure" for 30 minutes.

Open the pressure release valve and allow the steam to escape. Unlock and carefully open the lid. Stir the sauce to keep it from sticking to the bottom. Close and lock the lid and re-set to "high pressure" for 30 minutes longer. The meats should be falling-apart tender. If not, cook under "high pressure for 5 to 10 minutes more.

Set the pressure cooker to the "simmer" program and add the remaining 2 T. oregano. Gently drop the sausage meatballs into the sauce. Cook, stirring gently after the first 10 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and the sausage meatblls are cooked through, about 20 minutes. The other long cooked meats will fall apart into small pieces and melt into the sauce as you stir the meatballs--don't worry, this is how it's suppose to look! Remove and discard the bay leaves.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook according to package directions.

Serve the sauce over the cooked pasta and garnish it with the Pecorino Romano.

The sauce will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 week, or can be frozen for up to 6 months.

Source:
"Emeril's Cooking with Power"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Mare749 (So, since I'm home t...)
be back with a cup of coffee - looks interesting
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Mare749 (So, since I'm home t...)
Hi, the ingredients look great, but the procedure seems way too complicated. If I was doing it, I would probably skip the browning part (I've found it makes little difference in pressure cooked dishes), or just do 1 side per Cook's Illustrated recipes, I'd then do the onions and skip all the separate cooking bits. I would salt with the meat, the onions and at the end. With small pieces of meat you should not need more than 1 hour total to have super tender meat. I worried cut the ribs in chunks. I would make sure the onions give enough liquid, at least 1/2 cup before the wine. If you stir well and deglaze with the wine, you should not have sticking problems, then add the tomatoes. I'd close and check after 30 minutes and 10 NPR. If all is to disappear into the sauce, I'd put the meatballs in at the beginning as well. (If they are not going to be distinguishable as meatballs, why not stir in the makings instead of actually making meatballs?) Anyway this is my 0.02.
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Cubangirl (Hi, the ingredients ...)
Alina, the directions say that "the OTHER cooked meats will fall apart as you stir the sauce." I have used this method before and if you add the meatballs at the end and just let them simmer in the sauce for 15 to 20 minutes, they are fine and don't fall apart. Nice and tender too.

As for browning the meats, it's just what I like to do. IMHO, it does add a layer of flavor. It was actually quite convenient to do the browning right in the IP, but the best part is it didn't heat up my kitchen and what used to take hours to cook, was done in a short amount of time.

The taste is amazing. Just like my mom used to make.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Mare749 (Alina, the direction...)
looks really good, Maryann - I'm not wishing for winter, but I am anxious to try these ideas after summer!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Instant Pot Recipes - I by Mare749 (So, it seems that I ...)
Bringing this thread to the top again. Should I make it a sticky???
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Instant Pot Recipes - I by Mare749 (So, it seems that I ...)
Maryann, your Sunday Gravy recipe is very much like one I made a few years back.  I think I posted about it when I made it.  As a kid, my parents would take me to this restaurant called Brooklyn House.  The little old Italian lady that ran the kitchen shared her spaghetti recipe with my mom right before they closed.  Their pizzas were pretty awesome, too, but as often as we went, my mom ALWAYS ordered the spaghetti.

Thanks for sharing!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by cjs (It was good, Daphne...)
And you finished the ribs on the grill?