Instant Pot Recipes - I
  Re: (...)
So, it seems that I put the Instant Pot on my wish list back in March, then promptly forgot about it. Imagine my surprise when I received this yesterday for my birthday present from the kids!

It looks like a fabulous appliance, but am a little intimidated by it, even after reading the instruction manual and the recipe cookbook.

Hoping some of you will help me out with some simple recipes to get me started.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Instant Pot Recipes - I by Mare749 (So, it seems that I ...)
I'm just getting started with mine, too - in fact I've only done rice so far and I can't say I like the rice done in this any better than my (easy) all time way. Think it's a case of 'old dog' vs. 'new tricks'????????

But, between this (the pot), sous vide, and the Searzall, I'm all equipped for winter, but darn, I want to get to the grill. Poor Tracie so wants me to play with the searzall, so I guess I'd better.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by cjs (I'm just getting sta...)
Have fun, you guys! Mine is on the list and waiting.

But like Jean said, I'm excited to pull out the grilling recipes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Instant Pot Recipes - I by Mare749 (So, it seems that I ...)
I just lost a long post twice so here's the short version:
Use only 1 cup water for the pressure test. Don't use the measuring cup that comes with it. The clear thingee goes on the back of the body, not really necessary. The vent always feels loose, away from you (clockwise as far as it will go)to close, toward you to open. Don't use timer, it is for delayed cooking. You always need at least 1/2 cup liquid to get pressure. Here are a couple of recipes and links. The one for the rice dowwnloads the recipe manual. I had the pressurecookingtoday.com site added to RecipeFox, so it will download recipes into LC. You can download the user manual here .

RICE IP

PERFECT BASMATI RICE: 2 cups Basmati Rice 3 cups Water
Rinse the rice in a fine covered in fresh water for 15 minutes. Strain the rice and add to the Instant Pot -mesh strainer and soak —being careful to remove any stray grains from the top edge of the inner pot. Add water.
Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press [Manual] and then use the [-] button to choose 4 minutes pressure cooking time. When time is up, open the cooker using the 10-minute Natural Pressure Release. Serves 4

PERFECT JASMINE RICE: 3 cups Jasmine Rice 3 cups Water
Rinse the rice in a fine Strain the rice and add to the Instant Pot being careful to remove any stray grains from the top edge of the inner pot. -mesh strainer. Add water. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press [Manual] and then use the [-] button to choose 4 minutes pressure cooking time.
When time is up, open the cooker using the 10-minute Natural Pressure Release Serves 4-6.

PERFECT BROWN RICE: 2 cups Brown Rice 2½ cups Water
Add rice to the Instant Pot being careful to remove any stray grains from the top edge of the inner pot. Add water. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press [Manual] and then use the [-] button to choose 22 minutes pressure cooking time. When time is up, open the cooker using the 10-minute Natural Pressure Release. Serves 4.

LONG GRAIN WHITE RICE
You can use just one cup rice and one cup water to try.

2 cups long grain white rice
2 cups water
1 TBS. kosher salt
1 TBS. bacon grease

For long grain white rice measure 1 Pyrex cup rice into liner, rinse rice well, remove rinse water (drain) then add 1 Pyrex cup water to liner. You can add salt and 1 TBS. bacon grease if desired, stir well and close lid. Press rice button and let it do its thing. When it beeps finished, let pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes (I turn IP off and let it release by itself). My rice comes out perfect without having to wait for it to boil or turn heat off. If you don't turn IP off, it will still release pressure by itself and it will keep the rice warm. I prefer to cool my rice and refrigerate it and reheat to help with the carbs.

Source: Instant Pot Recipe Manual
Web Page: http://instantpot.com/free-electric-pres...e-booklet/

PRESSURE COOKER HARD BOILED EGGS

*You can put the eggs on a rack or trivet as well, but I prefer the basket so the eggs are easier to remove from the pressure cooking pot.

You can cook a single egg or as many as will fit in your steamer basket and the cook time will be the same.

eggs
1 cup water

Put the steamer basket* in the pressure cooker pot. Add the water and the eggs. Lock lid in place, cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes.

When timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then turn off pressure cooker and do a quick pressure release. When the pressure is released, carefully remove the lid. Remove the steamer basket from the pressure cooking pot. Put eggs into ice cold water to cool.

Author: Barbara Schieving Source: Pressure Cooking Today
Web Page: http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pres...iled-eggs/
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Cubangirl (I just lost a long p...)
Great information, Alina. I'm starting a new cookbook for IP, so will save all your notes and any recipes that I pick up along the way.

I did get the instruction manual and cookbook with my IP, then did the test run which took a long time because the instruction book says to fill to the "3" line. I was so overwhelmed with the whole thing and later Ron told me that I had filled it to the 3L mark!

The good news is now that I followed all the instructions for washing and testing, I feel a lot more comfortable with it. It's really not as complicated as it looks.
Maryann

Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Mare749 (Great information, A...)
Not complicated at all. If you turn it on to Saute while getting stuff ready and put in the ingredients, they'll warm up so it will come to pressure faster, just remember to hit cancel and then manual or whatever. For my Cuban black beans, I put some oil in the liner, set it on saute, then add the onions (I use a bag of TJ's diced) to saute while I wash, core and cut the bell pepper, add it and then rinse the beans and finish adding the ingredients and close and set the vent, then hit beans. Recipe below in case you like Cuban black beans. They come out fantastic. Amount of olive oil is correct, don't skimp.

BLACK BEANS MAMI'S*****

1 lb. raw unsoaked black beans
2 dried bay leaves
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut in half
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt to taste
4½ cups water (up to 8 cups)

Dice onion and peel and mash garlic with a bit of salt. Wash and seed bell pepper and cut in quarters. (You can chop it you prefer).

For the IP for every 2 cups of dry beans (1 lb.), use 4½ cups water. You can cook on manual high pressure for 25 minutes or use Beans/Chili button. It defaults to 30 minutes, but has two other presets in it, so if you press "Adjust" you will get 40 minutes, and again you will get 25 minutes. Use a minimum of 10 minutes NPR, natural pressure release. I just let it come down on its own.

They will keep well for over a week in the fridge and forever frozen well sealed. Even better on second day.
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Cubangirl (Not complicated at a...)
I'll be trying the beans, they sound good! thanks Alina.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by cjs (I'll be trying the b...)
Yes, they do! Thank you, Alina! Time to make some spicy black bean burgers, too.

ETA: Had to go to the store for milk. So, now I'm going to make yogurt in the Instant Pot.
Maryann

Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by Mare749 (Yes, they do! Thank ...)
Alina, you're amazing! I got one for Christmas, but have spent so much time in the weeds this year that I really haven't had the chance to use it well. Thanks for all of the tips!!
  Re: Re: Instant Pot Recipes by karyn (Alina, you're amazin...)
You are all most welcome. Here's what I did for my yogurt batch which turned out great. I did not use the powdered milk. I used TJ's organic whole milk and Fage 2% plain yogurt.

IP YOGURT

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 9 hours
Inactive Time: 8 hours and 30 minutes
Total Time: 18 hours

64 oz. whole milk
2 TBS. greek yogurt
3 TBS. powdered milk (optional)

Pour milk into the liner. Put lid on with clean seal (you don't need seal as it does not use pressure, but I believe it helps get the milk to the right temp in one go), push yogurt button and then adjust button and it will say boil When it signals done - check it with your thermometer. If the milk is not up to 180° degrees. Run cycle again if milk is not up to 180° F.

Set liner on counter in ice bath to cool. 115° I let it drop to 113° just to be SURE it was cooled well. But don't cool below 110° - that's too cool to get the process going. Whisk it before you take the temp this helps to dispel hot spots, I let it get down to at least 113 stir and check the temp in 3 different spots. Then whisk in your starter, don't be shy, you want to make sure it is well mixed in and aerated, this helps get the yogurt party started per se. Put liner back in pot, push yogurt button and let incubate for 8 hours. .

After it is done I pour it into the strainer and put the strainer in the fridge. Here's the strainer I use.
Check after 6 hours to see if it is desired thickness. Transfer yogurt to containers ( I used round 2 cup lidded bowls) and store the whey ( I used a quart mason jar). Both yogurt and whey can be frozen. Reserve some of the yogurt to start next batch.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Greek Yogurt, Instant Pot, Instant Pot Forum, Yogurt

Author: Andrea Potts
Source: Instant Pot Facebook Group
Web Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantP...cation=ufi