White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake
  Re: (...)
This is a very delicious, moist, and easy cake to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

* Exported from MasterCook *

White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake

Recipe By :Maida Heatter
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 large lemons -- zest finely grated
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 by-1/2 inch piece fresh ginger (see note)
3 cups all-purpose flour -- plus more for dustin
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
1 cup unsalted butter -- at room temperature
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
Lemon glaze
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar

This cake has an intriguing, albeit unexpected, combination of sweet and hot flavors. That has made it an often-requested alternative to the common lemon pound cake. The cake is similar in concept to a pound cake but is as dense, rich and moist as an English pudding.

Cake: Adjust the oven rack one-third up from the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10- to 12-cup Bundt pan. Dust with flour and shake out any excess.

In a small cup, combine the zest and juice. Grate (do not mince) the ginger and add it to the lemon juice mixture. Set aside. Sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar and beat for about 1 minute. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with the buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in the lemon and ginger mixture and blend just until combined.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top by briskly rotating the pan first in one direction, then the other (the batter should be rather heavy).

Bake for 70 to 80 minutes, until a cake tester inserted gently in the middle comes out clean and dry. (If you have used a 12-cup pan, the cake will not rise to the top of the pan, but that is all right.) Make glaze as soon as the cake is put in the oven to allow the flavors time to meld.

Let the cake stand in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Cover with a rack, turn the pan and rack over, remove the pan and place the cake on the rack over a large piece of aluminum foil to catch drippings of the glaze. Glaze the cake while it is still warm. After the cake is removed from the pan but while it is still warm, stir the glaze to recombine. Using a pastry brush, brush the glaze over the warm cake, allowing some to drip into the hole. The cake will easily absorb all of the glaze. If some of the glaze drips onto the foil, pour the glaze back over the cake. Set aside until cool.

Using 2 wide metal spatulas, or using a flat-sided baking sheet as a spatula, transfer the cake to a serving plate. The cake is even better if it ages for a day or two covered with plastic wrap -- the spicy hotness cools a bit as it ages.

Glaze: In a bowl, combine the juice and sugar. Makes about 1/2 cup.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake by bjcotton (This is a very delic...)
Thankyou for the reminder. I'm going to make this tomorrow! Bob and I talked about how good it was half the way home from Jean and Roy's after the Party on the Hill. It'll be a good dessert for the weekend!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake by Harborwitch (Thankyou for the rem...)
Interesting ingredients--pepper in a cake?? I guess I will put together and have my guinea pig give me his most discriminating opinion.

Give me a break guys--I will have to bring out the wheelbarrow--motorized of course--and now I will have to order four more file folders---UGH!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake by Roxanne 21 (Interesting ingredie...)
This cake is wonderful!! Roxanne, that's what neighbor's are for...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake by Roxanne 21 (Interesting ingredie...)
The instructions look rather daunting Roxanne, but when you get the mise en place done, it's rather simple. When I first saw it, it was 2+ pages, but after you read it, it's not hard to do.

Billy
  Re: Re: White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake by cjs (This cake is wonderf...)
UH--I think it is called friends!!! The recipe doesn't look all that 'daunting'----just wondering about the pepper---should be interesting for a different twist!! Will try tomorrow!!! Thanx for the push!!! I love new experiments!!!
  Re: Re: White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake by Roxanne 21 (UH--I think it is ca...)
I thought pepper in a cake seemed odd too, but then I remembered that I have a cookie recipe that has black pepper, and I've put cayenne in my brownies....so I guess it's not as unusual as I first thought! Or maybe I'm just weird...
Tammy
  Re: Re: White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake by TwilightKitten (I thought pepper in ...)
"Or maybe I'm just weird..." no, Jean, just go away and don't say a word!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake by bjcotton (This is a very delic...)
OOOO---I made this today inspite of the fact that I was a little leary about the pepper issue----what an incredibly moist lemon cake---definitely a keeper. I did cut the pepper to 1 tsp--and it was an unbelievable taste sensation. Change is nice!!! DH was poopooing all day because I mentioned that I was making this---MISTAKE---NEVER mention what the ingredients are---he was pleasnatly surprised--and I was as well with his positive response!!

Try it ladies--and men---you will not be disappointed!!

AND THAT GLAZE------UMMMMM!!!!
  Re: Re: White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake by Roxanne 21 (OOOO---I made this t...)
I told ja, I told ja! If you add some more white pepper, you get this tingly pepper taste in the back of your throat. Last time I made it I doubled the white pepper , oh yum!

Billy