For CJS Beef Sashimi
  Re: (...)
I made a couple of modifications: It's incredible.

1 lb of the best beef tenderloin (filet) available.
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp crushed garlic.

Trim all the fat possible off the meat and rub well with the garlic and salt. Sear the meat on all surfaces quicly over glowing coals or in a hot skillet. Remove from the heat, wrap and refrigerate to cool quickly.

Condiment:

Trim and finely mince 2 green onions or a small leek. Place on a piece of cheesecloth and swish through cold water to rinse. Wring it out and set aside.

Peel and grate about 1/2 cup Daikon radish onto cheesecloth. Wring out and set aside.

Grate a knob of peeled fresh ginger onto a piece of cheesecloth wring out and set aside.

Mix 1/4 c, fresh lime juice with 1 tbs light soy sauce. Add 1 tbs. Mirin and 1 tsp rice wine vinegar. Mix well.

Peel a small cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Slice thinly.

Chiffonade 1 cup spearmint or basil leaves (or both). Place on serving plate or individual plates.

Slice the meat as thinly as possible. We used an electric slicer set as fine as it gets. Place the sliced meat on the herbs.

Garnish with the sliced cucumber. Mix ginger, radish, and scallion into the lime sauce. Each diner can add as much sauce as they like to their plate.

This went over extremely well -- not a sliver left over.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: For CJS Beef Sashimi by Harborwitch (I made a couple of m...)
That's what I was going to ask you. Where do you get your Mirin? My 3 sis' brought me back a bottle from California, but I understand the vineyard (Hakusan)has since closed. I know how to make a substitute, but it isn't nearly as good. Can't find it in any local stores.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: For CJS Beef Sashimi by bjcotton (That's what I was go...)
Ah Ha!!!! I finally have something here readily available---Mirin--I can't believe that you couldn't find it there somewhere in an Asian market---doesn't have to be in a "spirit" market!!! Ken Hom suggests sherry if you can't find Mirin. I enjoy his shows on BBC--

Question---what would be a good substitute for daikon radish--and we don't have the regular red radishes either---water chestnuts???

cjs--your sashimi recipe is on the menu for tomorrow evening's dinner---I used some of a beef fillet tonight for an orange beef stir-fry (Ken Hom) and because there are only two of us there is the other half left--looking forward to somthing a little different--thanx!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: For CJS Beef Sashimi by Roxanne 21 (Ah Ha!!!! I finally...)
No radishes????? My goodness, how on earth -- we just tried regular red radishes blanched with a chive butter for Easter. I'm not sure what would sub for the radish, there's a bite there that water chestnuts don't have -- perhaps finely finely shredded cabbage and cucumber?????
  Re: Re: For CJS Beef Sashimi by bjcotton (That's what I was go...)
You can find little bottles in the asian food section in the grocery. Perhaps Cost Plus???? I got mine at a Japanese store that has since closed. Crap, must go back to the Asian market! Sherry and a bit of sugar will work in a pinch.
  Re: Re: For CJS Beef Sashimi by Harborwitch (No radishes????? My ...)
Have you tried growing the round red fellows in pots. They are really successful. Water cress is easy to, and has that peppery taste. Only need paper towel for that and only days, depending on your temperatures.

and a PS. cress grows well in a bit of foam rubber too. The short growth time gives you planning time.
  Re: Re: For CJS Beef Sashimi by vannin (Have you tried growi...)
We planted radishes in our herb barrels last year. The slugs enjoyed them very much and we got nary a one. If the slugs can be controlled they are wonderful -- love the pretty "easter egg" radishes too.

If I can find some watermelon radish seeds I will plant some again and make sure that the slugs can't get them. I'm also going to plant horseradish and ginger again this year.
  Re: Re: For CJS Beef Sashimi by Harborwitch (We planted radishes ...)
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will search for the radish seeds next time I'm at the nursery. I remember growing these MANY years ago on the farm--yummy when in season. I wonder if I could do the daikon thing--doesn't hurt to try I always say.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: For CJS Beef Sashimi by Harborwitch (I made a couple of m...)
Sharon, looks great!! Kind of a Carpaccio Sashimi...

BillyJ - even Safeways I've been in carry mirin...I know folks always suggest using sherry for mirin, but to me the flavor is completely different.

Thanks Sharon!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For CJS Beef Sashimi by cjs (Sharon, looks great!...)
You're welcome! This was such fun to do! We finished off the saki from the last sushi party.