Balloon Bread
  Re: (...)
Someone posted on another food forum having been served Balloon Bread at a restaurant in Carmel, CA - It looked wonderful. So this is my response to seeing that.

I can just see these with a charcuterie plate drizzled with the olive oil and salt and dipping away in a bowl of highly seasoned Balsamic Vinegar along with other goodies!! I’m so going to try this.

Italian Balloon Bread - {Focaccia}

[Image: th772B18YT_zpshvg5mrfe.jpg]

This dough puffs up best-like a balloon-when baked on a pizza stone. It will puff up only slightly when baked on a baking sheet.

Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a pizza stone or greased baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven.
For the Basic Pizza Dough: Make favorite pizza dough.
Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and set it aside in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour. It is then ready to use. This makes enough dough for 2 pizzas.

Tear off pieces of dough the size of plums. Place them on a floured board and press them into flat circles with your palms. Using a rolling pin, roll out each piece of dough into an 8-inch circle about 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick.

Place the dough round on the stone or baking sheet and bake until it puffs and is well browned, about 8 minutes.
(Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.) Do not open the oven door during the first 3 or 4 minutes.

Remove the breads from the oven, drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.

Variation: To make Rosemary Focaccia (cracker bread), knead 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary into pizza dough, and follow directions for focaccia but use tines of a fork to pierce dough all over right before baking. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, then brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Makes 10 pieces. This recipe yields 10 servings.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Balloon Bread by cjs (Someone posted on an...)
Hmmm, that kind of reminds me of the time that I tried to make pita bread and it inflated just like a balloon. But, it did not stay inflated and it sounds like this does.

Well, you know I will have to be trying this eventually.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Balloon Bread by Mare749 (Hmmm, that kind of r...)
Why am I not surprised you're first to comment, Maryann!!

I have one pizza ball in the freezer and I wanted to make a pear and duck confit pizza...but, I guess I can get my butt in gear and make more dough.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Balloon Bread by cjs (Why am I not surpris...)
I couldn't wrap my brain around this one, so I had to go find a picture. When I blew yours up, Jean, it was too distorted. Now that seen it, I have a question. Won't it shatter when you break into it? This is very interesting. I can't wait to see what happens. And I too have a pizza ball in the freezer.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Balloon Bread by Gourmet_Mom (I couldn't wrap my b...)
I think that is the whole point of the balloon bread, Daphne. Just breaking off shards to dip..... we'll see tho.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Balloon Bread by cjs (I think that is the ...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
me too
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Balloon Bread by cjs (me too [img]/ubbthre...)
Well, it was a complete success - in fact it hardly raised at all!! BUT, wow, the flavor and texture were fantastic with olive oil drizzled, sprinklered with truffle salt and a little shredded cheese. Had it with an abbreviated charcuterie plate (we ate too much pizza earlier).

I'll keep doing this just for the flavor and it just belongs with a light meal like this.

[Image: apr%2028%20002_zpsviwz3pff.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Balloon Bread by cjs (Well, it was a compl...)
Cute! I may have to try this the next time I do pizza to go with our salad.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Balloon Bread by Gourmet_Mom (Cute! I may have to...)
I used 1.6 oz. of dough. I'm going to try 2 oz. next time - 1.6 just didn't share nicely.
www.achefsjourney.com