Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna
  Re: (...)
We invited another couple for dinner on Wednesday, and I made roasted red pepper lasagna, chopped romaine salad, and foccacia (hazelnut biscotti for dessert). She brought bruschetta and fresh mozzarella balls-- so it was an Italian feast!

To be honest, I was dreading this dinner a little. I had heard, early on, that they are very picky about food but found this out only after I said "we'll have you over for dinner sometime". Well. I'v never received such an effusive response to a relatively simple meal!

So I am going to post the lasagna recipe here. It is lighter than a traditional lasagna and perfect for spring/ summer; a white sauce sits in for the usual (heavy) ricotta and mozzarella and the roasted red pepper flavor is amazing. I'm not sure where I got the recipe, I've had it for years and made a few changes. Both of our guests had second helpings!

One thing that makes this really easy is, when red peppers are on sale or at the end of summer when I have a lot from the garden, I will spend a couple of hours roasting them on my grill, peeling, and freezing flat on a baking sheet. Then I pile them into a bag and have "fresh" roasted peppers for months.

ROASTED RED PEPPER LASAGNA

This lasagne is not one of those 15-layer, meat- and cheese-stuffed behemoths that are featured in Italian chain restaurants. Rather, it is a simple, colorful, very flavorful blend of pasta, red peppers, and cheese that pairs perfectly with a crisp romaine salad and a glass of wine for a perfect, not-too-heavy, meal.

Servings: 10 (? maybe 8? depending...)

Ingredients

4 medium sweet red peppers
12 uncooked lasagna sheets

5 medium garlic cloves -- minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
36 ounces crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1½ teaspoons sugar
1½ teaspoons dried basil
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 1/2 cups skim milk
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
¼ cup sharp Provolone, shredded

minced fresh parsley or fresh basil, if desired (to garnish)

Preparation

PEPPERS: Roast peppers, core, and scrape off the blackened skin. Dice peppers into ½” pieces and set aside.

NOODLES: Boil noodles in a large pot of water until al dente*. Remove from boiling water and place directly into a large pan of cold water (throw in some ice cubes to keep the water cold as the hot noodles are added). You can keep these in the cold water until the lasagna is ready to assemble.

RED SAUCE: In a large saucepan, saute red peppers and garlic in oil for 1 minute; add the tomatoes, parsley, sugar, basil and black pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Set aside while you make the white sauce.

WHITE SAUCE: In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil (microwave the milk for a minute or two on high power to warm it up a little, and this step will go a lot faster!); cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F

NOODLES 2: Spread 2 layers of towel (noodles will stick to paper towels) on the counter and remove each noodle from the ice water. Lay on the towel and blot the upper surface with another towel to dry.

ASSEMBLE: Line a 13” x 9” x 2” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of the pepper sauce on the bottom, and arrange 4 noodles on top of the sauce. Over these noodles, spoon 1½ cups of the red pepper sauce, 1 cup of the white sauce, and 1/3 cup of the shredded Parmesan. Arrange 4 more noodles on top of this, and layer with another 1½ cups of red pepper sauce, 1 cup of the white sauce, and 1/3 cup of the shredded Parmesan. Place the final 4 noodles on top and another 1½ cups of pepper sauce and 1 cup of white sauce, reserving the final 1/3 cup of Parmesan.

Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese (and sharp Provolone, if being used).

Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. 

NOTES: MAKE AHEAD. You can roast the peppers up to four days ahead of time, and make the red and white sauces ahead as well.

The lasagna itself can be assembled a day or two in advance, wrapped well with plastic wrap, and refrigerated. Remove it from the refrigerator an hour before baking.

*I mistakenly bought “no boil” noodles, but still boiled them (for 4 minutes) before placing in ice water.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by foodfiend (We invited another c...)
Very nice, Vicci! I'm glad it was a success! And thanks for the reminder. I've got a lasagna recipe I haven't made in a long while involving peppers. I had spaghetti on the menu for next week to satisfy my pasta craving. But I think I'll make that instead.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Gourmet_Mom (Very nice, Vicci! I...)
"One thing that makes this really easy is, when red peppers are on sale or at the end of summer when I have a lot from the garden, I will spend a couple of hours roasting them on my grill, peeling, and freezing flat on a baking sheet. Then I pile them into a bag and have "fresh" roasted peppers for months.

Great minds and all that!! I do this with bells and Poblanos - so I always have them at the ready.

Vicci, the lasagna sounds so tasty - this is one copied!! thanks for posting it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by cjs ("One thing that make...)
Sounds really great.