Flavorings for Marinara Sauce
  Re: (...)
I make large batches of marinara sauce to have in the freezer as I think many of you do, also. With my hand and wanting easy dishes to make, I’ve used up a lot of my stash the last couple weeks.

This morning I wanted to add meatballs and pasta to the sauce, but I’m getting real bored with the same flavors! So I added flavors to the sauce and while the flavor is very familiar, so I must have done this before, I sure don’t remember.

It’s wonderful and I’m writing it down this time!

To approx. 2 cups marinara sauce, add:
1 T. small capers
1/3 – 1/2 cup chopped kalamatas.

[Image: feb%2025%20Pasta%20w%20caper%20olives_zpsrexqgq7e.jpg]

So simple and so tasty. Next time I’m going to try green olives.

So, what are your ideas which you’ve done to marinara????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Flavorings for Marinara Sauce by cjs (I make large batches...)
We sometimes add a few splashes of cream for a "pink" sauce.
  Re: Re: Flavorings for Marinara Sauce by Trixxee (We sometimes add a f...)
I have added a bit of anchovy paste on occasion and even fish sauce which is basically a liquid version. Just a splash and you don't even know it's there, but adds umami.

Jean, I almost forgot to add that sometimes I add a bit of balsamic if the sauce is for pizza. You're the one who got me started doing that with your pizza sauce recipe and we love it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Flavorings for Marinara Sauce by Mare749 (I have added a bit o...)
I've done what Trixxee and Maryann have mentioned, but nothing more. Although, the fish sauce Maryann mentioned is interesting. But you surely knew I'd LOVE the addition of the capers!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Flavorings for Marinara Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (I've done what Trixx...)
takes so little to do so much.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com