Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016
  Re: (...)
Here we go with the newest issue.

Just starting to go thru, but saw this and what a great tip!

"BUNDT FOR CASSEROLES
Casserole recipes often bake in the
oven until they bubble up and boil
over. To avoid this problem I like to
make my casseroles in a Bundt pan.
They’re deep enough so nothing
boils over, and because they’re
hollow in the middle, casseroles
cook faster with more crispy edges."

I'm going to do this one!

So, what are we going to make first Off to check out past the tips.
Off to check out past page 6
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016 by cjs (Here we go with the ...)
Cool tip! Can't wait to hear what you think!

I'm pretty excited about this issue. The lemon chicken will have to be really good to beat Chicken Piccata. The pizza and meatball sub have a lot to live up to, also. But I'm especially excited about the two taco recipes. But I'm already planning to shred my chicken. And I'm thinking of doing the Orange Glazed Salmon recipe subbing this marmalade. Shrimp recipes will depend on fresh shrimp prices. They have been sky high lately!

Pineapple-Lemon Marmalade page 15
Shrimp and Penne page 19
Chicken Taco Salad page 25
Lite Lemon Chicken page 27
Pizza? Pages 43-45
Cajun Shrimp Soup page 46
Eggplant Fries page 59 (Maybe the sub with mozzarella inside, but I like mine as is.)
Korean Beef Taco page 61
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016 by Gourmet_Mom (Cool tip! Can't wai...)
Here's what I hope to make...

Cinnamon-Sour Cream Scones with candied ginger April '16 pg 17
Shrimp & Penne with watercress, lemon & ginger April '16 pg 19
Chicken Taco Salad April '16 pg 25
Lite Lemon Chicken April '16 pg 27
Tamale Steak Pie April '16 pg 31
Egg-Muffin Sandwich with cheese sauce April '16 pg 37
Onion Rings with sriracha-honey mayo April '16 pg 41
Baking Sheet Pizza Dough April '16 pg 43
Chipotle Chicken & Corn Soup April '16 pg 47
Carrot-Fennel Soup with Pernod April '16 pg 47
California Steak Sandwiches with cilantro pesto April '16 pg 57
Italian Meatball Sandwiches April '16 pg 59
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016 by losblanos1 (Here's what I hope t...)
Like I said....looks like a good issue.

I'll be interested in your opinion about the onion rings. I didn't consider that one...well, maybe for a second. First, I planned to try Jean's version. Second, we swore we'd put the frier away for a while after Super Bowl Weekend. So we won't be trying that one. I also considered the Chipotle Soup, so I'll be interested in your review of that one.

Thinking the Chicken Taco Salad next week! Let the reviews begin!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016 by Gourmet_Mom (Like I said....looks...)
Chicken taco salad!!!!!!!,
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016 by nanci (Chicken taco salad!!...)
Daphne, the onion rings were pretty good, but if you have a favorite beer batter recipe already, I don't think this one would replace it.
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016 by losblanos1 (Daphne, the onion ri...)
Thanks, Blane. I had said we were putting away the fryer, but it's still in the kitchen. So while it's still here, I'm going to try a Pioneer Woman recipe for onion strings instead of rings.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016 by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Blane. I ha...)
Finally got my issue. LOTS of good looking things here, including quite a few sides.

I just ordered some silicon egg rings for make the egg sandwiches.

I was also glad to see an old recipe revived in the back section - mexican club sandwiches. Yum!
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016 by Trixxee (Finally got my issue...)
I finally got to make the Lite Lemon Chicken. I served it with my lemon scented rice with capers and French style green beans.

Substitutions:
-I didn't have fresh thyme, so I subbed dried.

Recommendations:
-Use a higher heat to get more color on the chicken.
-Use more lemon juice.
-Add capers.

We'd give this an 8. I may make it again, but Chicken Picatta is equally easy to make, and has more flavor. But I have not compared the calorie count, so that may make the difference in whether I choose this over the Picatta.

Since my chicken did not have as much color as I liked, I did not take a picture.

Just looked it up. The C@H recipe dates back to before they added the nutrition info. So I found a recipe at Whole Foods that is almost exactly like theirs. It appears adding that little bit of flour and the capers only adds 8 calories per serving. I'll stick with the Piccata.
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews - Issue #116 - 2016 by Gourmet_Mom (I finally got to mak...)
Now that I'm back to what 50% cooking ability, I've got to get this issue out. But, now that chicken piccata is in my mind, I want it!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com