Making Italian Turkey Sausage
  Re: (...)
I can't get this locally, and I hate driving into town for one little thing. And William HATES when I ask him to stop at beach road for something. Traffic is difficult, to say the least. So until the LowesFood opens on the way home, I'd like to make my own. I found this. Suggestions?

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homem...ey-sausage
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Making Italian Turkey Sausage by Gourmet_Mom (I can't get this loc...)
Looking at the recipe, it would be too bland for me.

I finally have our favorite blend for a flavorful turkey/chicken sausage.

Spicy Hot Italian Turkey Sausage
[Image: Feb%2019%20LO%20grits%20w%20spicy%20turk...tt8wzh.jpg]
First made 7/26/12 – so very good and spicy

4 1/4 lb ground turkey
3/4 lb bacon
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Heaping tablespoon fennel seed
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
Heaping teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs cold water
--------------------------
Casings, medium hog or not (I prefer bulk sausage)

1. Combine the turkey, bacon, and remaining ingredients except water in a large bowl. Grind through a 3/8-inch plate. Moisten with the water and mix until well blended.

2. If using casings, stuff and tie at 5-inch intervals.

3. If leaving for bulk sausage, divide into amounts that work for your family.

Source: Adapted from Hot Links and Country Flavors, Bruce Aidells and S. Kelly.

My Notes: This is spicy hot and doesn't taste like other bland turkey sausage I've tried

-------------

Daphne, I can't remember if you have made sausage, so I may be mentioning something you already know, but... Always go on the low side of spices/seasonings and after you have a mixture, fry a small patty to test flavor. You can then add more to your batch until you have the best seasoning for your needs. We have been know to go thru a lb. or 1 1/2 lbs. 'testing' patties until we get it right. Not a bad job.

And, if the above looks too highly seasoned, remember poultry sausage needs lots of help.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Italian Turkey Sausage by cjs (Looking at the recip...)
Thanks, Jean! I'll try yours, but I'll start a little shy on the heat and do a small test patty. As my mamma taught me, you can always add more. You can never take it out.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Making Italian Turkey Sausage by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean! I'll ...)
right
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Italian Turkey Sausage by cjs (right...)
I just looked in my living cookbook and have that recipe in your cookbook, Jean. Haven't made it in a while, so definately need to. Thanks for bringing it up and also for the reminder about the heat.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Making Italian Turkey Sausage by Mare749 (I just looked in my ...)
I'm glad I'm remembering, too!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Italian Turkey Sausage by cjs (I'm glad I'm remembe...)
Jean, could you or Maryann email me this recipe. Sometimes my iPad doesn't want to copy on the forum. Oddly, it's only the forum. Anyway, I'm hoping to make this tomorrow.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Making Italian Turkey Sausage by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, could you or M...)
done!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Italian Turkey Sausage by cjs (done!...)
Thanks, Jean!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Making Italian Turkey Sausage by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean!...)
Okay, here I go with questions. I finally totally read through the recipe and saw that it uses the grinder. I have two, so that is not a problem, but I question the necessity. The turkey/chicken is already ground. Grinding the bacon without it could cause a jam? But would it be possible to blitz it with the food processor blade, then send it through the grater blade. The plastic blade could then be used to mix the meats with the spices.

My reason for questioning the method is the grinding of the turkey/chicken. Does it not get pasty? Anyway, if you recommend grinding it all, I'll go that way. I think I know where my grinder parts are? I had to do some reorganizing recently.
Daphne