Am I Crazy?
  Re: (...)
In an effort to economize my cooking, I grilled off a whole pound of bacon for tonight's burritos. My intentions was to have breakfast for dinner tomorrow night. Planning got complicated.

That said, I searched my poor brain for ideas, and I came up with a quiche with a hash brown crust that I thought I had seen made recently...by Barbara I thought. But when I did a search, I got no results?

So did somebody make this recipe? I'm thinking of doing that for dinner tomorrow night. I think it was issue 114.

Help?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Am I Crazy? by Gourmet_Mom (In an effort to econ...)
Sorry, wasn't me, but I hope we find out who made it. Sounds good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Am I Crazy? by Gourmet_Mom (In an effort to econ...)
Daphne,

Yes, I made that quiche on Sunday. I don't remember if it has been posted in full on the forum. Came out great!

This wasn't the recipe from Issue 114 - I want to say Issue 46?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Am I Crazy? by BarbaraS (Daphne,[br][br]Yes, ...)
Thanks, Barbara! It was issue 45. That one uses Italian sausage instead of bacon. So now I have to decide which one to make. At least I know the potato crust works.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Am I Crazy? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Barbara! It...)
Okay so Daphne, here are some notes I made (I nailed the hash brown crust this time!)

I use Hungry Jack Regular Hash Browns - they come in a little milk carton-like box and you pour hot water into the box and let sit for 12-15 minutes. When they were done, I spooned them out into my 10" cast iron pan and used a large serving spoon to smooth them out, especially where the pan side meets the bottom. I got the crust really even and thin this time. Then I melted butter and brushed that on the hash browns. I cooked them for 20 minutes at 400 degrees and still turned on the broiler to get the top side a little brown. Make sure the cast iron is a little greased - don't wipe out from cooking onions or anything. Even if you use fresh hash browns, it's worth the time to smooth out the crust.

I did the Swiss cheese and ham version. It takes twice as long to get the eggs set than what the recipe calls for - about 40 minutes.

Hope this helps! It's a favorite of ours and we're having the leftovers tonight!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Am I Crazy? by BarbaraS (Okay so Daphne, here...)
Thanks for the detailed instructions Barbara. I have never noticed the Hungry Jack potatoes. Are they in the refrigerated section or maybe the the boxed au gratin potatoes?
  Re: Re: Am I Crazy? by Trixxee (Thanks for the detai...)
I thought this Quiche sounded familiar, I made it back on August 1st of '13. I did the ham & Swiss option also and my notes said it was delicious. Thanks for the reminder Barbara.
  Re: Re: Am I Crazy? by losblanos1 (I thought this Quich...)
Thanks for the notes, Barbara. I have added it to the recipe along with the Ham and Swiss option. I wound up not making this because I don't have a 10 inch nonstick pan. When I saw your notes that you used a cast iron skillet, I thought I had a chance. But then I realized mine is 12 inches or more. So I'll have to wait a little while on this one.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Am I Crazy? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the notes...)
You're welcome Daphne! I just measured my pan and yes, at the mouth it is 10".

These Hungry Jack hash browns can be found with dry breakfast items. They come in "regular" and "with cheese". I always use the regular. I don't see why you couldn't use two packages or just 1 1/2 if you can find them. They make great hash browns on their own!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Am I Crazy? by BarbaraS (You're welcome Daphn...)
Thanks B! I assume that means by the pancake mixes. I will look for them tomorrow! This sounds so good to me.