Green Bean Recipe
  Re: (...)
There is a great Green Bean recipe in CAH Smart Carb Cooking. We make it often and reminds me a lot of my MIL green beans that she cooks all day...

Green Beans with Mushrooms
8 oz green beans
2 strips thick sliced bacon (I use 3 regular slices)
4 oz mushrooms - sliced or quartered
1/4 cup shallots - minced
1 t. splenda (I use sugar)
3 Tbsp white wine vinegar

Blanch in beans in a largee pot of boiling water (I usually steam them) Drain and set aside.

Saute bacon in a large pan over medium-high heat. add the mushrooms, shallots and sugar/splenda. Continue cooking until carmelized. Deglaze pan with white wine vinegar.

Toss with Green Beans and serve.

** NOTE We like using crimini mushrooms, I quarter them, and I use one 8 oz container.

Erin
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Green Bean Recipe by esgunn (There is a great Gre...)
but...you don't cook yours long enough for them to turn a sickly gray...

Your version does sound good tho.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Green Bean Recipe by cjs (but...you don't cook...)
HA! I almost called my MIL's beans "Dead" in my previous post...

No, these are nice, fresh and crisp! But the flavors are very similar - vinegar and bacon.

Erin
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Green Bean Recipe by cjs (but...you don't cook...)
I'm not a big green bean fan, but my favorite way is to french the beans and saute in brown butter until crisp tender. Then I add thin strips (about the length of the beans) of roasted red bell peppers and raw jicama matchsticks. Add a dash of worcestershire, a little more butter, and cook a minute more. Toss together and serve. The pepper adds color and the jicama adds texture. Not bad.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Green Bean Recipe by Old Bay (I'm not a big green ...)
Sounds really nice Old Bay. I do love green beans and peas various straight from the plant though, and tomatoes still warm from the sun. When we had a garden we would go outside and just eat stuff. There were no rasberries above dog height, they would peel their lips back, and look very savage, then delicately pick the rasberries. Had the thorns all worked out. They like cape gooseberries too.
  Re: Re: Green Bean Recipe by vannin (Sounds really nice O...)
How funny Ellen, you made me remember a garden I had years ago at the time I had the most dysfunctional dog in the world, Luther! But, he had good taste in veggies - between the two of us we ate every green pea while we picked - don't think Roy ever got a one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Green Bean Recipe by cjs (How funny Ellen, you...)
Oh, yeah, peas, beans, peppers, carrots, one had to hide with ones stash of course. Usually in the purple king plum tree, it was the biggest, and more than a brooms handle up. And of course, instant dessert. I am unrepentant. I don't think Nana tried to hard with that broom. She knew I would turn up next morning. Three cheers for Luther.......
  Re: Green Bean Recipe by esgunn (There is a great Gre...)
My first fiance's mother invited me to dinner; bragging about the beautiful fresh green beans they'd gotten at a fruit stand that morning. I'm excited. Fresh crisp green beans!!!!

We get to her house, she serves dinner. Those beans had been on the stove since 8am (it's now 7pm) with a gallon of water, a pound of bacon (put in raw), and a sliced onion. Bleacccccccccc. Gaaaggggghhhhh!

I do mine like you do yours, fresh and crisp with all the goodies!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Green Bean Recipe by Harborwitch (My first fiance's mo...)
Quote:

Those beans had been on the stove since 8am (it's now 7pm) with a gallon of water, a pound of bacon (put in raw), and a sliced onion

LOL...mmmmm...sounds like Grandma's! Minus the onions, of course....
Tammy
  Re: Re: Green Bean Recipe by TwilightKitten ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I think it's an acquired taste - like if you start eating them cooked that way (with onion in our house) when you two or three years old!!
www.achefsjourney.com