Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme
  Re: (...)
Got this recipe from a friend on another forum, made it this weekend for out-of-towners and it is just wonderful. Thot I'd pass it one to the new friends here. It really is not "hot" - it's just a nice kick!
---------
You can vary the number of chiles and the amount of cayenne depending on your heat tolerance (and your sense of adventure ).

Combine 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, scant 2/3 cup whole milk, and 2-6 dried red chiles (I used 2 anchos and 2 pasillas). Heat until just barely boiling and let steep 15 minutes. Strain, add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne, and reheat. Place 12 ounces of bittersweet or semisweet (or equal amounts of each) in a food processor, pour the hot milk mixture over, and let stand 30 seconds. Process for one minute, add two eggs, and process for another 45 seconds. Pour into 1/4-cup ramekins, and let stand six hours or overnight.

Enjoy!
---------

I made it Friday for Saturday’s dessert and put it in demitasse cups (topping with a piping of softly whipped cream. There will only be four of us, so the neighbors will be scoring today. But, yesterday afternoon, Roy (husband) & I took two of them to the winery in town where we're getting acquainted to test some wines with them. Molly, who was pouring took one and R & I shared the other and had some fun.

All the wines we tried were great with this - maybe cause of the bittersweet chocolate and the spicy of the peppers. I used a mix of Ancho and Pasillas and the full 1/4 tsp. cayenne.

Dungeness Red - a blend of Lembburger, Merlot, etc.
Dungeness White - a Reisling style
and their Cab - all of these worked with the dessert!!

It was just wonderful!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme by cjs (Got this recipe from...)
Mmmmm...that sounds yummy! Chocolate and chiles intrigue me...thank you for sharing!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme by TwilightKitten (Mmmmm...that sounds ...)
Chocolate and peppers.....I have heard of this before. I guess I just can't see it tasting right! LOL Kind of like steak coated with brown sugar!!! I'll eventually have to break down and give it a try!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme by Bizymomma (Chocolate and pepper...)
The next time you are in a good Mexican resteraunt try something with a mole' sauce, it will most probably be a combination of chocolate, chili, and other things.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme by Old Bay (The next time you ar...)
Have to try the chocolate and chile combo---I think that tenderloin will be on the menu soon!!

I have noted recipes for chili with added chocolate--is that a southwestern taste? I must admit it does sound weird---but interesting!! Always one for trying something different--we are!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme by Roxanne 21 (Have to try the choc...)
I have a chili recipe that has cocao powder in it. IT is very good.

Erin
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme by Roxanne 21 (Have to try the choc...)
Very southwestern and very Mexican.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme by Old Bay (Very southwestern an...)
Yes, to Southwestern and Mexico.

Mexican Chocolate is what you want to use for a mole sauce - it's flavored with cinnamon, almonds & vanilla. But, if not available (it is hard for me to find) I'll use Bittersweet chocolate.

But...you can make your own Mexica chocolate - one oz. semisweet chocolate, 1/2 tsp. grd. cinamon & 1 drop almond extract can be substituted for 1 oz. of Mexican chocolate. (I've used Bittersweet instead, just 'cause I like it better)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme by cjs (Got this recipe from...)
I made these yesterday. I used ancho, pasilla, and negro chilis along with almost all of the cayenne. I cut it back a bit because the chilis got to sit in the milk for about 30 minutes because the phreaking phone (office phone) kept ringing and I couldn't get back to it.

I do have to say that these are the most wonderful desserts in the world. Bob and Jerry say these have to be on hand all the time! OK!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme by Harborwitch (I made these yesterd...)
I'll tell you I'm ready to make them again!!

(Are you guys O.K. - no flooding???)
www.achefsjourney.com