Potstickers
  Re: (...)
Ok, I know a few of you have already made these, right? They make 30? How many people does that feed typically?

I was going to make them for the 3 of us on Wednesday, but then I got sick so it had to wait. I was going to make them tonight, but now I'm going to be stuck feeding a gazillion teenage boys, so I think they are going to have to wait some more. Guess I'll just order some pizza...blech. I really was hoping for some REAL food. *sigh*
Tammy
  Re: Potstickers by TwilightKitten (Ok, I know a few of ...)
I had those questions as well---I hope to make them mid next week. Did you find the round wrappers?? Or will you use the wonton wrappers? HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND ALL!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Potstickers by Roxanne 21 (I had those question...)
Nope, I couldn't find those darn round wrappers anywhere! I finally had to settle for the wontons. It's going to be annoying cutting circles out of all of them....oh, well.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Potstickers by TwilightKitten (Nope, I couldn't fin...)
Wow, even in this little town I had no problem finding the potsticker/gyoza wrappers - that's too bad.

The qty? There is just the two of us and going into this menu having already made these little goodies, I knew there would be more than we'd eat at one time. But, I went ahead and made the entire recipe so I could have some in the freezer for later - I made the menu Tuesday and we had the frozen ones Wednesday....love em! We pigged out on 5 or 6 each.

I did have a little filling left after using the entire pkg. of wrappers, so I fried it up with eggs and just nibbled the next a.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potstickers by cjs (Wow, even in this li...)
Thanx cjs---the leftover filling idea sounds great too--I will file that somewhere in what is left of my brain?????

I had a difficult time finding the round wrappers---but eventually found them in a Chinese supply shop--go figure.
Will be trying in the next few days---and will be ready for the critique session!!!
  Re: Re: Potstickers by Roxanne 21 (Thanx cjs---the left...)
That's strange. I had just read a recipe for Crispy Pork and Kimchi Potstickers and was debating on sending it to cjs when I signed on here. This was the first thread I saw
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Potstickers by bjcotton (That's strange. I h...)
"Crispy Pork and Kimchi Potstickers " - well, time to quit debating and send...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potstickers by cjs ("Crispy Pork and Kim...)
Here ya go:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crispy Pork and Kimchi Pot Stickers

Recipe By :Anita Lo
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
SAUCE
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 scallion -- thinly sliced
DUMPLINGS
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound kimchi, drained -- finely chopped
4 scallions, green parts only -- thinly sliced
1 large egg -- beaten
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
36 gyoza wrappers
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water

SAUCE: In a small skillet, toast the sesame seeds over moderately high heat for 30 seconds, shaking the pan, until lightly browned. In a small bowl, stir the soy sauce with the vinegar, water, garlic, scallion and toasted sesame seeds.

DUMPLINGS: Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the ground pork with the kimchi, scallions, egg, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix the dumpling ingredients thoroughly.

Place 4 wrappers on a work surface; keep the rest covered with plastic wrap. Lightly moisten the edges of the wrappers with water. Place a level tablespoon of the ground pork mixture on one side of each wrapper and fold in half to form half-moons. Press the edges of the wrapper firmly to seal, making pleats for decoration. Lift each dumpling by the pleated edge, transfer to the baking sheet and press down lightly to flatten the bottom; the dumpling should be standing with the pleat side up on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and pork mixture.

In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbs of the oil. Add half of the pot stickers to the skillet, flattened side down. Pour in 1/2 cup of the water, cover and cook over moderately high heat until the water has evaporated, the filling is cooked through and the bottoms are browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm. Wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining oil, pot stickers and water. Serve with the dipping sauce on the side.

Source:
"Food & Wine Apr '05"
Yield:
"36 dumplings"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Billy
  Re: Re: Potstickers by bjcotton (Here ya go:[br][br] ...)
OKAY---I will be the first to ask---what is KIMCHI!!! Something similar for a substitute??

The recipe looks really fantastic---copied, pasted and printed---now all I need is to know what that kimchi is!!!

Thanx bj
  Re: Re: Potstickers by Roxanne 21 (OKAY---I will be the...)
Kimchi is a Korean dish usually made with various veggies that have been fermented with garlic and hot peppers...daikon radishes, bok choy, chinese cabbage, etc. There are different varieties of it with some being spectacularly hot and others being fairly mild. If you would like, I can post a recipe or two for your perusal.. maybe posting them will give you an idea, so I will.

Billy