Anova Precision Cooker
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (That's funny. We'll ...)
Done! I had some $$$ on Amazon to use, so got a pretty good price even without it being on sale.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (Think we need a thre...)
This sous vide really has me intrigued. So I could have something cook while I'm at work and just "finish it off" in a pan or whatever for dinner?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by BarbaraS (This sous vide reall...)
That's true, Barbara.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by labradors (That's true, Barbara...)
Now I want her today!!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (Now I want her today...)
Jean, I can see it now: all of a sudden supermarket workers across the country start getting questions about sous vide. LOL!

Already, when I asked the fish department at Publix about their swai, the girl there said that she wasn't familiar with sous vide, but after I explained it, she said, "I'm going to have to check that out!"

BTW, their home office eventually got back to me and suggested rebagging the fillets, rather than using the original vacuum packaging.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by labradors (Jean, I can see it n...)
So my next question is - once you've cooked a piece of food and want to freeze it or just refrigerate it for another day's use, you have to reheat it somehow. Wouldn't that cook it more or do you compensate for that when you initially sous vide the food?

Like say I want chicken thighs with skin on for Jean's Sweet Garlic Chicken (making this next week!). On Sunday I could sous vide the thighs to be cooked, but Tuesday I want the skin to be crisp and that's going to require more cooking time. So I under-cook the thighs a bit to compensate for the skin crisp?

Because seriously, this could cut down on the madness that is known as 4:00 - 6:30 in this house.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by BarbaraS (So my next question ...)
good questions Barbara - I'm anxious to hear what the sous vide aficionados have to say................
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (good questions Barba...)
It would depend on how long it would take you to crisp the skin. A couple of minutes probably won't make much difference for thighs, but longer I'd undercook a bit. For steaks, we always do them a bit rarer than we want if we are saving them. If we are using them right away, i.e., they are already hot and all we are doing is adding a bit of olive oil and using a torch, we cook them to temp.

For foods that are not crisped you can always reheat them using sous vide at the same original temp or lower. They will get hot, but not continue cooking. An example would be if you'd cooked veggies which always require higher temps than protein, you'd cook them first, then when done, you'd lower the temp to the right one for your protein, and when down to temp, add your protein and cook. The veggies can stay in the water, and will stay warm but not continue cooking.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Cubangirl (It would depend on h...)
Thanks for your comments about the veggies, Cubana, I've been wondering how that would be handled. Cool!
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by labradors (Thanks for your comm...)
I just got an email re this: Sous Vide . I hope you find it useful.