Anova Precision Cooker
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by BarbaraS (Sharon,[br][br]I'm i...)
Anxious to hear about the roast, Barbara.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by cjs (Anxious to hear abou...)
So here's how I did the Prime Rib sous vide.

It weighed 3 lb 4 oz and was 2" thick - a heavy 1-ribber.

This is a Jason Logdson recipe and it's spot on! Heated the water to 131F and let the meat go for 8 hours. Took it out of the vacuum seal bag and patted it dry. Had previously made a paste of 1 head roasted garlic mixed with a little Olive Oil and crushed fresh Thyme and fresh Rosemary. Spread the paste all over the Rib and put in a pre-heated oven at 500F for 15 minutes. Made a note to do at 25 minutes next time because it was a little too raw next to the bone. Probably should cut away from the bone before putting it in the oven. It came out a nice medium-rare and was fantastic!

But Hubby says he misses the cooking smells from the conventional cooking. Can't blame him, I do too!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by BarbaraS (So here's how I did ...)
I know I have the same problem as your husband! One thing you might try next time, Barbara - I used to cut the bone(s) away on the roast but tie it all back together so you get the same benefit of cooking '0n the bone' So much better flavor.

I'm copying all you did.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by cjs (I know I have the sa...)
And cutting the bone off and re-assembling it is what I've done in the past. Hope this works for you!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by BarbaraS (Sharon,[br][br]I'm i...)
I sold enough jewelry last month to get a healthy check and I'm at 20+ paid hours a week so Bob said I can order the Anova. That is unless we have to put in a water softener, we're having major issues with calcium in our water lines. I may have to wait I can't wait! Our list for this year is the Anova, a water softener, and a new sealed burn SS stovetop.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Harborwitch (I sold enough jewelr...)
Decisions, decisions, ........
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Harborwitch (I sold enough jewelr...)
We have extremely alkaline water,which is why my all my tile, cabinets and appliances are white, but I hate softeners. The pool eats gallons of acid. We just put a filter in the kitchen. We have a filter in the water dispenser in the fridge and put another on the pipe. We've had no problems with the Anova. The only time I worry is when baking bread, so I use bottled water for that if I'm too lazy to get it from the fridge and heat it before use.

There is info on calcium at the end of the Anova manual
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Cubangirl (We have extremely al...)
Thank you so much. I'll read the manual and then pass it on to Bob. This will cinch the deal.

We have a whole house filter and just put a killer filter under the sink. Before we put the new filter under the sink we used countertop filters for our drinking and cooking water.
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Harborwitch (Thank you so much. ...)
Took the plunge and ordered the Anova today! It will be here tomorrow - I am so excited!
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Harborwitch (Took the plunge and ...)
Have fun!!
www.achefsjourney.com