T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/30/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu today?

We're having a bunch over for Roy's B'day and football on Sunday, so I'm doing a lot of cooking today. First time we've had a 'group' since we moved in - it's going to be interesting to see where we put everyone................

Roast beef sandwiches and chips and maybe later a twice-baked potato
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/30/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu t...)
I really don't know what will happen - depends on if Tony can chew much. I guess some kind of soup is a possibility but jeez, it's just supposed to be so hot and windy today - that doesn't sound good to me.

In keeping with lower carb ideas, I think I am going to treat myself to a sashimi lunch though.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/30/15?? by Trixxee (I really don't know ...)
Good luck, Trixxee. I hope he isn't in too much pain.

We are having an early steak dinner.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/30/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (Good luck, Trixxee. ...)
How fun Jean! Do you do a tailgate type of menu?

I have three cheese and pepperoni Stromboli on the menu, but that may turn into a pepperoni pizza, we'll see.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/30/15?? by losblanos1 (How fun Jean! Do you...)
Up here no, I don't trust the weather, but we used to in CA.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/30/15?? by cjs (Up here no, I don't ...)
We went to Hartville Marketplace yesterday and came home with lots of goodies. Fresh veggies, apples, cinnamon buns, pepperjack cheese, and a cooler full of meat from Duma Meats and Farm Market.

So dinner was veggies and dip, crackers and cheese, Lebanon baloney, stuffed mushrooms and sliced tomatoes.

Also stopped in here: http://gourmetmarketpasta.boutiquewindow.com/ and picked up the southwest orzo that I mentioned the other day. The owner shared her recipe that was a big hit when they had a tasting event recently. Since this makes so much, we will have this for a Sunday dinner with the family.

BAKED SOUTHWEST ORZO - easy make-ahead dish!!

1 pound Pappardelle’s® Southwest Orzo
1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups peppers (red, green, jalapeno combination)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 – 30 oz can diced tomatoes or Ro-tel, drained well
1 can black beans, drained well
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1 pound bag shredded cheddar cheese
Salt, to taste
Optional: Shredded chicken, black olives

Boil orzo in pot of salted water until it is al dente. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
In a heavy skillet, cook the onion in the oil and butter over medium heat, stirring, until softened. Add the peppers and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and continue cooking and stirring for 3 minutes. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans and spices.
Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes, then blend it into the orzo. Add ½ pound of the cheese, shredded chicken, olives and salt to taste. Transfer the mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
Spread the remaining cheese on top of the orzo.
Bake in the middle of a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until it is heated through and slightly crisp on top.
This is a great make-ahead recipe. Just put it together and refrigerate overnight.

Serves 12
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/30/15?? by Mare749 (We went to Hartville...)
Does sound tasty, Maryann.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/30/15?? by cjs (Does sound tasty, Ma...)
That does sound yummy!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.